Author Topic: Look Up request !851/1861  (Read 1862 times)

Offline J.Patricia D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Look Up request !851/1861
« on: Tuesday 10 May 05 06:41 BST (UK) »
Researching John Williams born 1850 birthplace is listed as Machtre /Merionethshire on 1881 U,K, Census, Could this be Moughtre? cannot find any reference to Machtre. 1901 U.K. Census lists birthplace as Welshpool and I also have it as Wales NK.
  John Williams father listed as Richard Williams on John marriage certificate Married to Christina McInnes 1874 Tranmere Birkenhead.
  I am trying to get a birth certificate for John, from there his mothers maiden. Would also like to find any siblings.
 Any help very much appreciated............JOYCE.

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Look Up request !851/1861
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 04:04 BST (UK) »
I suspect that there is a mistake in the 1881 Census entry, and that Machtre Merionethshire should read Mochdre Montgomeryshire.

Mochdre is near Newtown and Welshpool.

Parish registers for the Mochdre parish have been transcribed by the local family history society and an index to the 1851 census is also available on CD.

Unfortunately I don't have either of them, but if you were to try this request on the Montgomeryshire board I'm sure that there may be somebody there who might have these resources and be willing to do a look up for you

Offline J.Patricia D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 05:40 BST (UK) »
 Thank-you so much, I have been trying to find this person for so long and you have given me a brand new avenue, thank-you..........J

Offline J.Patricia D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 05 16:00 BST (UK) »
I followed your advice and found a whole branch of the family I am researching I cant thank you enough. I am quite a newbie at genealogy and I was truly stuck. Many thanks and have a great da.......................Joyce

Offline Jack D

• RootsChat Extra
  • Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I don't know if anyone will read this old thread but it's interesting because my wife's maiden name was Williams and her great grandad was John Williams from Mochdre who married Christina McInnes.   We've only found this out in the last couple of weeks but are still researching.  Perhaps J Patricia D you are a distant cousin of my wife!

Cheers for now.

Jack
WINN, FOWLER, DE LA CRUZ, BECKLEY, EDWARDS - Liverpool. NEELEY, Limavady, Co. Londonderry.  HAYES, Ireland. HADWAY, Lancashire and Dublin. BECKLEY, TUNKS, WOOD, RUSSELL - West Midlands.  JOHNSON, NEWPORT, FIDLER, KELLER, EDWARDS, DAVIS - Bristol.  WILLIAMS, Mochdre, Montgomeryshire. BLACKBURN, ROOKING - Lancashire and Westmoreland.

Offline J.Patricia D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 December 06 06:36 GMT (UK) »
  I think it is very possible that your wife and my husband are distant cousins.   Where was your wife born?  Birkenhead?   I have not had much success with my Williams research.  Christina McInnes is very hard to trace.   
  My husbands grandfather was  William Williams.
G.Grandfather John,
G.Grand - mother Christina (McInnes)
Siblings, John,Edmund ,Thomas, James.Henry;Richard and Christina. 

Offline Jack D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 December 06 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joyce,

Thanks for your reply.  My wife, Viv, nee Williams was born in Liverpool. Her dad was born in Birkenhead.  His father was Henry Williams.  I'm trying to trace John Williams for her and that's how I spotted your post.  However, have got stuck with many John Williams in Mochdre/Welshpool area.   You have his marriage certificate to Christina.    We don't have that.  Does it give their father's occupations, witnesses names?

We have traced Christina.  She was born in Cannonore, India in 1847. We don't know her father's name but it is recorded in the Army chaplains births in the 25th Regiment of Foot. It was a Scottish regiment and obviously the name is Scottish so this could turn out to be interesting!  I am currently trying to obtain copy of birth certificate so I'll be in touch when I have that.

Any information you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
for Christmas and the New Yea

John & Viv

WINN, FOWLER, DE LA CRUZ, BECKLEY, EDWARDS - Liverpool. NEELEY, Limavady, Co. Londonderry.  HAYES, Ireland. HADWAY, Lancashire and Dublin. BECKLEY, TUNKS, WOOD, RUSSELL - West Midlands.  JOHNSON, NEWPORT, FIDLER, KELLER, EDWARDS, DAVIS - Bristol.  WILLIAMS, Mochdre, Montgomeryshire. BLACKBURN, ROOKING - Lancashire and Westmoreland.

Offline J.Patricia D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 December 06 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi John and Viv,  Hi cousin!!!!!! how exciting.
             I have had some success in tracing the Williams in Mochdre.   I havn't sent for any certificates yet. But I can let you have the information that I have.
             I have Christinas birth / marriage certs: I also have her fathers marriage certificate  Thomas McInnes to Bridget Lisle ( widow  nee Bridget Gorman). I have traced 5 siblings in Cannamore but the trail goes cold.   I have some research that tells me the family was wiped out, except for Christina and I cannot find her mothers death yet.  I have death of Thomas McInnes . I havn't been able to find a birthdate/birthplace for Thomas.  I think our avenue is to get an army reseacher find his enlistment, thereby his parents and his birth details.
                This is getting to be like a newspaper, Ha.Ha. but I am so excited because you are the first living link I have found,  or did you find me? does it matter?     
 e-mail us     thedowdalls@shaw.ca.

This is a great Christmas gift.
  Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for 2007.

Joyce and Denny.

Offline Jack D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 December 06 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joyce and Denny,

Viv is absolutely thrilled to make contact with another living descendant of John Williams and Christina McInnes.    I had been researching my own tree for 30 years but only turned my attention to Viv's about two months ago and to have got so far on both sides is amazing.  We will e-mail you.  We have some pictures.   Be back to you soon. 

What amazing news for Christmas.

Best wishes

John and Viv