8 (5.8%)
I'm scared they'll clone me
3 (2.2%)
I've already done it
52 (37.7%)
Other (explain)
28 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: DNA Testing - Why Not  (Read 51808 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Why Not
« Reply #189 on: Sunday 10 February 13 17:33 GMT (UK) »
snipped.....but the mailing cost to UK is around  $75.00.....snipped

It must be some size of envelope ! $75.00 someone is having a laugh.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 16:05 GMT (UK) »
No they ship by DHL! This company are extremely fast, I once received some model train parts shipped by them in 48 hours from California. Only problem with them is they are prohibitively expensive, its the shipper that charges $75 not the enormous envelope.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline scooper200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Sunday 23 April 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
I've done my YDNA testing to 67 markers, my sister has had her atDNA and mtDNA done and my daughter has had her atDNA done. After a great deal of analysis, the only thing that the DNA has established is that my sister is my daughter's Aunt.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 07:35 BST (UK) »
Someone asked if there had been any successes using DNA testing to find long gone families. I have detailed my DNA and Brickwall elsewhere.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=732026.msg6168303#msg6168303

What a DNA test did was confirm a link between two people , myself and a lady in Tasmania. Both descended from an Alice Robson. One (myself) from her 1st husband Richard Blackstone (Blacksell) and her from her mothers new lover.

So while we can definitely prove a link to an Alice Robson (1797) we can logically assume a link to Richard through family records and now the DNA.

I have also been able to confirm a link to a few more families. Interestingly enough all along similar family lines to the Blacksell yet separate ie Charles Blacksell , Richards son married a Muirhead. I have a connected DNA link to a descendant of a sister of the married lady. ie we shared her fathers or mothers DNA.

On the same line and in similar circumstances I link to the Vidler line from Kent/Sussex who married into the Munn family , who in Australia linked up with the Blacksells.

Is there a reason why one family would dominate a DNA line?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
I want my mother to be tested but don't know if correct  links would show up on ancestry if it's linked to my tree

Also don't understand which is the best company to go with or the best type of tests

My grandmother was a love child and we think she had cousins in GB
But don't know her mothers married name

and we know who were  her paternal   Fellman aunts and uncles from Russia Emigrated to USa

Which type of DNA test would find their descendants??

Ancestry has an offer this week so i would like to decide soon whether to go ahead and order it
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:40 BST (UK) »
I find Ancestry DNA the most helpful. My mother, her first cousin and I have tested. My aunts are testing.
I have worked out about a dozen of our matches.  The shared matches function is particularly useful and I have sometimes been able to work out the links between multiple shared matches. 
I find this form of matching more understandable.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:53 BST (UK) »
I am like Nova67. I have enjoyed and can understand Ancestry.
I did Ancestry test last year and find that the matches are generally USA based but I can see where the match would originate from because of my Irish connection. I wasn't looking for relatives, it was and is a more personal 'fun' thing to do. There is one USA match, at the moment to my English side.
At the time, I posted a message on here and was advised to upload my file to Gedmatch which I only got round to in the past couple of days. Already I have received a query but I must confess that the information is a bit overwhelming at the moment - I have no idea how to interpret anything.
However, the match (distant) who has contacted me is a name from the right area in Ireland.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
I expect there could be matches which don't seem to fit because many men do not know the child s not their own

My  Scots grandfather was a sailor so i could have second cousins all over the world ....Unless as i suspect my father was not his natural son...."While the mice are away  the cats play too "
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
Heywood, you'll get the hang of the basics of GEDmatch.  There's no need to get involved with all the bells and whistles if you don't want to.

FTDNA is somewhere else you could upload your results to for free, more software to get your head around I'm afraid but you might get some additional matches. 

It always helps other users to understand where a match might be if you upload an ancestor tree also.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON