8 (5.8%)
I'm scared they'll clone me
3 (2.2%)
I've already done it
52 (37.7%)
Other (explain)
28 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: DNA Testing - Why Not  (Read 51691 times)

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Why Not
« Reply #99 on: Monday 12 December 11 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Oops!  I should have explained better that I chose that one as an example of how a non-Latin alphabet set of surnames would appear, and only if you were looking at a project level.

Initially FTDNA will give you links based on the number of STR markers you match with other people, e.g. 12 markers exact, 12 markers with genetic distance of 1, 25 markers, 37 markers, etc.  Each match will have a name and email address.  Some of them have brief trees linked.  All of my top matches have the same common surname as I do, but if it was a name that changed because of a foreign sibling of one of your father's ancestors moving from Russia to England, then you might recognize that as a probable relative.

It really isn't that difficult... and if you have it done contact me at anytime for help.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 12 December 11 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Oops!  I should have explained better that I chose that one as an example of how a non-Latin alphabet set of surnames would appear, and only if you were looking at a project level.

Phew.... :)

Thanks for making it sound 'fairly' simple.  ;) If/when I get the test done I may very well take up your kind offer of assistance.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Monday 12 December 11 14:14 GMT (UK) »
A question on Y DNA tests.

I know there are several tests that vary in their degree of sophistication ie

Y-DNA 12 – 12 marker test not much good for genealogical research

Y-DNA 25 – 25 marker test may be of limited use

Y-DNA 37 – 37 marker test and usually recommended as the minimum for genealogical research

Y-DNA67 – 67 marker test. Offers a higher degree of sophistication and shorter timespan in which results may occur (ie matches within a smaller time frame)

Y-DNA111 – 111 marker test, the rolls Royce of tests gives as much accuracy as presently possible.

So my question is how much more statistically useful is a 67 test or a 111 test against a standard 37 test ? (I have looked at the time to most common ancestor table in the FAQs on ftDNA but not really telling me what I want - or if thats possible)

Thanks
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 12 December 11 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Ruski - Relative Roots http://relativeroots.net/webinars/ are having a webinar on Y- DNA tomorrow. Maybe it would be worth signing up for it? I think it's $5.

You can ask questions during the webinar, and I think there's a fairly extensive Q&A session at the end. I also think they'll give you a discount on Family Tree DNA. Hopefully you'll find he answers you're looking for.

Meanwhile the way I understand it is that the more markers you have tested the more likely it is that you can pin a match down to a more recent generation. I believe the Difference between 67 and 111 markers on a complete match is 1 generation.

AS far as cost goes, it works out cheaper to order the top range straight off, than ordering a lesser test and then upgrading.
Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Monday 12 December 11 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Ruski - Relative Roots http://relativeroots.net/webinars/ are having a webinar on Y- DNA tomorrow. Maybe it would be worth signing up for it? I think it's $5.

You can ask questions during the webinar, and I think there's a fairly extensive Q&A session at the end. I also think they'll give you a discount on Family Tree DNA. Hopefully you'll find he answers you're looking for.

Meanwhile the way I understand it is that the more markers you have tested the more likely it is that you can pin a match down to a more recent generation. I believe the Difference between 67 and 111 markers on a complete match is 1 generation.

AS far as cost goes, it works out cheaper to order the top range straight off, than ordering a lesser test and then upgrading.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look at that. I've never heard of a webinar - you learn something new every day.  ;)

It makes sense to get the test with more markers - those I was looking at yesterday cost many hundreds of dollars .... I am hoping for a windfall ... from somewhere.

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Of course, unless some of your relatives have been tested and are on the database, it doesn't matter what level of test you get ???
Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie, I believe FTDNA have a sale on right now until 31st December
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RR - I will have a look.  :)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 08:51 GMT (UK) »
FTDNA do indeed have a sale on until 31/12/2011.

And, despite what they say on their website, their kits are despatched to Europe via Air Mail, so the kit should arrive within 14 days (maybe a little longer during the Christmas rush).
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk