8 (5.8%)
I'm scared they'll clone me
3 (2.2%)
I've already done it
52 (37.7%)
Other (explain)
28 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: DNA Testing - Why Not  (Read 51693 times)

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Why Not
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 10:15 GMT (UK) »
As I remember my kit took about 10 days to arrive, but of course, you pay on ordering.

It was another month before they confirmed receipt. Said something about special customs procedures. The FF result came in about 3 weeks after that, but the MtDNA was 7-8 weeks making a total of  around 3 months.
Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 12:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm yet to be convinced; altruism, in this case, don't come cheap!

It would be interesting to know just how many people have had a successful outcome from DNA testing.

It seems to be a classic case of, until enough people do it, it isn't worth doing :-\

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 14:56 GMT (UK) »

It seems to be a classic case of, until enough people do it, it isn't worth doing :-\

Well, if we all did that, the telephone certainly wouldn't have caught on  :D

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 16:04 GMT (UK) »

Not so much a case of 'enough people' as more of 'the right people'.
Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 16:10 GMT (UK) »
A note of caution, in some families it might lead to considerable problems if believed siblings each took the test.i.e. I've taken it, that should do for my son, my brother and his sons etc.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Friday 16 December 11 12:49 GMT (UK) »
A note of caution, in some families it might lead to considerable problems if believed siblings each took the test.i.e. I've taken it, that should do for my son, my brother and his sons etc.

I'm having a problem with this :-\ do you mean as in #your daddy's not your daddy but your daddy don't know# :-X?* Or something technical

*http://www.lyricsg.com/67851/trini-lopez/shame-and-scandal-in-the-family-lyrics

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Friday 16 December 11 20:49 GMT (UK) »

I'm having a problem with this :-\ do you mean as in #your daddy's not your daddy but your daddy don't know# :-X?* Or something technical

*http://www.lyricsg.com/67851/trini-lopez/shame-and-scandal-in-the-family-lyrics

I wasn't sure I understood Roger's reply either, but that's also how I read it. If that's the case, they'd be none the wiser anyway and assume that your results will also be the same for them ....   ;)

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Friday 16 December 11 22:58 GMT (UK) »
It's a risk to be considered, I suppose, like offering to pay for a test on a relative you don't actually know who just might think it'd be amusing to mess it up in someway on your dollar :o 

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Saturday 17 December 11 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I think with the prices charged, it would be unlikely that anyone would volunteer to pay unless it was a very deserving relative !  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk