8 (5.8%)
I'm scared they'll clone me
3 (2.2%)
I've already done it
52 (37.7%)
Other (explain)
28 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: DNA Testing - Why Not  (Read 51708 times)

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Why Not
« Reply #117 on: Saturday 17 December 11 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I think with the prices charged, it would be unlikely that anyone would volunteer to pay unless it was a very deserving relative !  :)

At the prices they charge I'd not only have to be exceptionally keen, I'd have to see photo ID and take and post the sample myself :D :D :D
Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 17 December 11 18:05 GMT (UK) »

I'm having a problem with this :-\ do you mean as in #your daddy's not your daddy but your daddy don't know#

That summarises a situation which has either arisen in my family or in a "parallel" family sometime between 1795 and 1900. You put it much more succinctly than I did thanks!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 17 December 11 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I'd like to take credit for being succinct but it's a song lyric that should take any credit  ;)
Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Sunday 18 December 11 01:16 GMT (UK) »
[
That summarises a situation which has either arisen in my family or in a "parallel" family sometime between 1795 and 1900. You put it much more succinctly than I did thanks!

And you don't always need DNA to prove that either   :)   :)   :), for people alive or recently so.

A friend of mine discovered, when he took up pathology as a profession, that his dad wasn't his dad - I didn't ask how he knew but presume their two blood groups were incompatible!
He was never game to ask his mother about it, or even mention it to them    ::)  ::)  :P  :P

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Sunday 18 December 11 09:54 GMT (UK) »
I read somewhere that as many as 60% of the people in the western world have fathers whose name does not appear on their birth certificate.  Of course, nobody knows the actual number.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Sunday 18 December 11 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Of course it doesn't have to be infidelity.

The story of how when James II's wife was giving  birth a substitute was smuggled into the Royal Bedchamber in a warming pan because the genuine baby was still born.  False rumour or not, it's hard to imagine that the idea of substituting one baby for another if the circumstances demanded it should be confined to works of fiction.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Sunday 18 December 11 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Of course it doesn't have to be infidelity.

The story of how when James II's wife was giving  birth a substitute was smuggled into the Royal Bedchamber in a warming pan because the genuine baby was still born.  False rumour or not, it's hard to imagine that the idea of substituting one baby for another if the circumstances demanded it should be confined to works of fiction.

This was taken seriously enough for two things to have happened, 1) Up to recently the Home Secretary was required to be present at the birth of an heir to the throne; and 2) Royalty do not usually take DNA tests, the only exception I know of being Prince Phillip to determine the identity of the Romanov remains.

If royalty did take DNA tests, the entire hereditary edifice might collapse.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Monday 19 December 11 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I've heard that some members of the royal family go out of their way to avoid DNA tests  ;)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Monday 19 December 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
The story of how when James II's wife was giving  birth a substitute was smuggled into the Royal Bedchamber in a warming pan because the genuine baby was still born. 

I guess not too many people would be in a position to 'acquire' a substitute newborn baby to order . . .  :-\

I doubt if many of us are going to find that situation in our ancestry . . . apart from those descended from royalty, obviously  8)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent