8 (5.8%)
I'm scared they'll clone me
3 (2.2%)
I've already done it
52 (37.7%)
Other (explain)
28 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: DNA Testing - Why Not  (Read 51733 times)

Offline grandma

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Lynch Ferrigan & Isabella Craig
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Why Not
« Reply #135 on: Monday 26 December 11 12:05 GMT (UK) »
But if you never take the plunge, you`ll never know what surprises are waiting out there.

And the more that do the test, more DNA info is uncovered. There can be an unknown uncle /brother waiting for an answer.

Mary

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Monday 26 December 11 13:15 GMT (UK) »
But if you never take the plunge, you`ll never know what surprises are waiting out there

. . . and if you don't buy a ticket you'll never win the lottery   ;)

But you'll probably never win if you do buy one :(
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline grandma

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Monday 26 December 11 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, but when we got the DNA results back. it was just like winning the lottery!!

Mary

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Monday 26 December 11 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Just curious, but since the originator of this thread is American or at least living there, does he know, has anyone traced the DNA of the native American tribes, and if so, what did the results show. Do they have African roots??

Regards

Malky

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Monday 26 December 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Malky.  No on the African roots for native Americans except in the sense that we all have African roots if we go back far enough.  American Indians show up in DNA tests as having an Asian profile, as had been assumed by many.

There is an excellent National Geographic program called "Journey of Man: a Genetic Odyssey on youtube.  It explains quite a bit in 2 hours in nicely digestible 10 minute chunks. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV6A8oGtPc4

I recall one thing pointed out in this film was that many native Americans did not want to be tested since they didn't want hear anything that might negate their creation myths.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 09:43 GMT (UK) »

I suspect that only those who have particular problems are prepared to invest the several hundred pounds/dollars necessary to pursue this course. The same amount invested in Ancestry, FindMyPast, Origins, etc. would seem to have far greater chance of yielding useful information.

Been there, done that (for quite a few years).   No tee-shirt  ::)   

For me it was a choice of paying these sites year after year with no promise of a breakthrough.  Or take a risk that something would turn up with DNA testing.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I view DNA testing as an investment for the future.  Even though what it offers now is so interesting I think the "science" will get better and in the future more avenues & possibilities may open up - and perhaps in my dotage I will find out something further about my family through the test taken today.  My Dad who has done the test for our family will have been long gone but what a legacy to leave your family..clues to your past.

Kind regards

Offline grandma

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 10:06 GMT (UK) »
In my case time is running out. I have just turned 80 on Christmas day. So far only one of my kids is interested but maybe some of the grandkids in time will be interested in what I have found. I paid for my brother to take the test on Ancestry so we at least know who are unknow gr gr grandfather was. We have a match with another man 6 generations down the line. Only hoping some day we will find the common denominater.The paper trail dabbers of somewhere in Ireland at the beginning of the 1800`s.

So any Lynchs out there please take contact with me. I`ll gladly pay for the test!!

Mary

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I would never try to dissuade anybody from taking a DNA test, if they can afford it. I just can't see any reason for doing it myself at present, which is my answer to the original question.

Were I to take a test and find a distant cousin, unless he had information that I don't have, I would be no further forward. Even if he did, having seen what passes for research in so many other people's trees, I'm not sure I would be any the wiser anyway.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent