8 (5.8%)
I'm scared they'll clone me
3 (2.2%)
I've already done it
52 (37.7%)
Other (explain)
28 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: DNA Testing - Why Not  (Read 51745 times)

Offline Tariana

• RootsChat Extra
  • My namesake, Miss Abbie Baity
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Why Not
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday 18 January 12 02:29 GMT (UK) »
I tested with 23andme a few years back on their old platform, and I got it on sale, so I only paid around $115 with s&h.
I ordered two V3 platform kits when they were on sale, so with s&h those two only cost me around $15. They're just sitting though in my hopes of 23andme ditching that silly subscription fee.  :P

I'd totally upgrade if they dropped that monthly fee. I understand the reason for it, but I don't make that much and I have bills to pay and groceries and gas to buy.

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Saturday 17 March 12 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm in the process of planning for a surname DNA study.  A little more difficult for me to get started as the companies like familytreedna want you to purchase a kit first, and as I am female, and don't have near male relatives with the surname I am interested in (my maternal grandmother) I need to get other people on board with the idea first. 

For me as a GOONS member (Guild of one-name studies), a DNA study will never replace the paper trail, but it should be able to give me some valuable clues to link together  some of the separate family groups I already have a good documented history for.  It can be a way to start breaking down brick walls.  For example I have a number of separate family lines of SENNETTs that go back to Ireland, with immigration to the UK in the mid 1840's, many of whom claim to originate from Co Wicklow.  The chances that they are brothers, or cousins is fairly good, but if I could get DNA evidence that showed  exact matches between descendants of the different lines, then it would give me clearer direction for searching for those common links.  In another example I have someone claiming that a very early ancestor of a cornish line may have come from Cambridgeshire, where I have trees back to about the same point in time.  If DNA matched exactly there it would not only link two of the earliest family groups I have, but would give added weight to the claims that the man who came from Cambridgeshire is the same person as the purported father of the cornish ancestor - this would direct my research to how someone from Cambridgeshire came to be living in Cornwall.  A third useful thing that DNA can do particularly for a one-name study is rule out family groups where the current name of SENNETT has originated from other than the irish SINNOTT/SYNNOTT or the  cambridgeshire SENIGHT and has been the result of someone just taking on SENNETT as a fairly close anglicisation of for example a german or austrian name.

I'm not that keen on the "health benefits" to be obtained from 23andme - while a few of the disorders can be reasonably predicted from their testing, in most cases your family history would have thrown this up already and you be aware of inherited conditions.  Most of the other "probability" of disease is not actually that much different from the general population when you look at the chances properly.  I am also not particularly interested in the DNA testing that gives information on racial backgrounds (mostly mtDNA I think, or female line DNA) because again, for most folk a decent paper trail of genealogy will make that clear. 

The only other thing that is stopping me from starting a surname DNA study right now is that I think a proper one-name project really needs to involve lots of different family groups.   Already I link in with quite a few researchers who have well-documented their own family lines, and it would make sense to get them on board with a DNA study to both share the load of analysing and reporting, as well as identifying appropriate people to test (who will often  be them or someone from their immediate family).   People just doing individual testing won't get anywhere near the benefits and possible matches that people who are doing it as part of a defined surname study will.   A surname study can also set up a fund with some of the DNA companies to allow other family members (eg women) to contribute to the costs of the tests, and also the tests can be bought at a considerably discount if through a formal study group. 

If anyone does have SENNETT/SINNOTT/SENNITT connections and is interested in genealogical DNA, then please contact me - you can pick up my direct email address from the Guild of One Name Studies website, or start my PM'ing me here.

Offline Inicky

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Saturday 17 March 12 18:40 GMT (UK) »
i know im British born and bred, many generations  ;D

Offline grandma

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Lynch Ferrigan & Isabella Craig
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Sunday 18 March 12 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Can someone explain to me what a 12/12 YDNA match means.

Mary

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Sunday 18 March 12 11:32 GMT (UK) »
When you send in your DNA sample, you (usually) have the choice of 12, 20, 25, 37 or 67 marker tests.  Since the bigger numbers require more time in the lab, the tests are more expensive as you go up.  Markers are repeat DNA sequences.  A 12/12 marker result can give a reasonably accurate result back to about 7 generations, but for really accurate results, you probably need 37 markers.   Someone with a 12/12 marker could be a close relation - it may just be that they haven't taken a more accurate test.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grandma

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Lynch Ferrigan & Isabella Craig
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Sunday 18 March 12 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nick.

My brother has done a DNA test, I believe it was 37 marker and was told there was a 12/12 marker result. Was wondering how close it was.

I`m waiting patiently to hear more from him, but right now he`s 9 hours away from here.

Mary.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Sunday 18 March 12 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I had a Y chromsome 37 marker test, personally I tend to discount 12 and 25 marker results as there are very many of them, so far I have only had one result in the 37 range, it was 36/37 and led to discovering that my Dad's uncle was a naughty boy around 1870!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Sunday 18 March 12 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Some people only pay for 25 marker tests - so it doesn't necessarily rule them out.  They may possibly be 37/37 if they took a 37 marker test.  I've had a 12/12 marker test result with someone in Holland who is pretty adamant that none of his ancestors set foot in the UK on the last 400 years.  Odd though, because his surname is a variant of mine  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lynne EnZed

• RootsChat Senior
  • God Loves You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Sunday 18 March 12 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am inquiring on behalf of a friend (who has given permission to share some of his details) to ask if the DNA testing will tell him the identity of his Dad? He has someone in mind but this man is not listed on my friend's birth certificate (father's details left blank). His mother told my friend when he was a teenager that this man was indeed his Dad but he would like to have proof. [He had always assumed her second husband was his Dad but he was, in fact, his stepfather.]

While his mother is of Irish descent, his [alleged] Dad (his mother's first husband) is half Chinese. Would a simple 12 marker test confirm this? My friend looks nothing like this man, hence the uncertainty.

There's a bit more to it but we are hoping a DNA test will sort out the confusion and confirm if he has Chinese ancestry?

Sorry if the answer is obvious!  :P  :-[

Thank you!  :D

Kind regards and God bless you,
Lynne x
BELL (1) Blanchland (2) Halton, Wark NBL
BULLERWELL Worldwide
COULSON Gunnerton, Woodburn, Capheaton NBL
DALTON Ousby, Gt Salkeld, Penrith, Keswick CUL
GAIR Newburn NBL
KILGOUR Perth SCO, Nth Shields NBL
MOULD Washington DUR, Nth Shields NBL
MUSGROVE Newburn NBL