8 (5.8%)
I'm scared they'll clone me
3 (2.2%)
I've already done it
52 (37.7%)
Other (explain)
28 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: DNA Testing - Why Not  (Read 51699 times)

Offline degenerate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing - Why Not
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 10:26 GMT (UK) »
If someone offered you, say, a birth/baptism certificate at a cost of several hundred pounds or dollars, but with the same guarantee - you would laugh in their faces! ;D

You can get an autosomal test for US $99 (& courier shipping) these days from 23andMe so it isn't that expensive. Some projects might even pay for your testing.

Bear in mind a certificate gives you a single shot of information, whereas a genetic test can continue to provide information many years after getting your results as matches come in.  It can also reach further back in time where certificates and paper trails might not exist. It will always be a gamble though.

A comparison website (isogg.org) suggests that, at 22nd December 2012 the largest database had about 180000 people.

The significance of 180,000 database size depends on the nature of the test. People from Ireland or the UK typically have hundreds of autosomal cousins in practice but might have few, if any, good yDNA or mtDNA matches. It is difficult to estimate the chances correctly in advance although if you are male and have a surname that has been tested already, then odds might be calculable. But I can understand the skepticism in the face of having to pay. If there was certainty ahead of time, then you wouldn't need to test!
Pailing, Palan, Palang, Palding, Palen, Palén, Palenius, Palin, Paling, Pallant, Pallein, Pallen, Pallin, Palling, Pallinge, Pallon, Paulding, Paulin, Pauline, Pauling, Pawley, Pawling, Payling, Pealing, Pealon, Peelen, Peeling, Pelan, Pelán, Pélan, Pelander, Pelin, Pellam, Pellan, Pelland, Pellant, Pelling, Pellington, Pelon, Pillan, Pilling, Pillion, Pilon, Plain, Plaine, Poland, Polin, Pollen, Pollin, Pollington, Pollyn, Powling, Pullan, Pullen, Pulleyn, Pullin

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I still feel that a lot of people are being conned persuaded to spend far too much money with very little chance of a successful outcome.

There are specific circumstances where a test may prove/disprove a potential connection and save much tedious searching in blind alleys, but for the majority of cases I feel sure the money is better spent on proper research.

Mike
yet to be convinced, but still open-minded  ;)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline degenerate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I still feel that a lot of people are being conned persuaded to spend far too much money with very little chance of a successful outcome.

I can't say that I've seen any excessive claims of late, but I would hope that no-one is making firm promises in the face of uncertain odds. We do know that it has worked for a substantial number of people and success stories are easy to find.

Like many, I am happy to pay for limited testing of targeted individuals whose results will be valuable to my one-name studies, so in such cases financial concerns are not relevant.

There are specific circumstances where a test may prove/disprove a potential connection and save much tedious searching in blind alleys, but for the majority of cases I feel sure the money is better spent on proper research.

I would think that the majority of cases that turn to genetic genealogy are those that have exhausted traditional avenues (if not in actual fact, then in practical terms) and they are using it to complement or confirm their research, or open up new avenues. DNA does not obviate the need for traditional documented research.

There are some situations where I feel that gratuitous testing would be an altrusitic act and that is where, for example, male individuals with rare surnames have no male heirs and no close paternal-line male cousins. Once they die then their yDNA disappears and future genetic genealogists cannot access it to reach back in time. We have seen with the Richard III project that there is a risk if you leave it too late, there might be no suitable mtDNA or yDNA carriers left to test.
Pailing, Palan, Palang, Palding, Palen, Palén, Palenius, Palin, Paling, Pallant, Pallein, Pallen, Pallin, Palling, Pallinge, Pallon, Paulding, Paulin, Pauline, Pauling, Pawley, Pawling, Payling, Pealing, Pealon, Peelen, Peeling, Pelan, Pelán, Pélan, Pelander, Pelin, Pellam, Pellan, Pelland, Pellant, Pelling, Pellington, Pelon, Pillan, Pilling, Pillion, Pilon, Plain, Plaine, Poland, Polin, Pollen, Pollin, Pollington, Pollyn, Powling, Pullan, Pullen, Pulleyn, Pullin

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Personally, I'm worried that they might clone me.

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Glad to see this thread was picked up again... but sorry I decided to look at it at 4 am).

...it might help put you into contact with genetic relatives that may have the information you need or can help you infer it.

This is exactly what I find a positive outlook as opposed to a negative.  I was dead in the water on some of my lines and this is exactly what happened to give me additional leads.  I started this thread with the hope that some of my direct line distant cousins in (probably) the Yorkshire area would test so I could get additional verification that that is where my line left from for America in the 1600s.

As to the 180,000 testers with one company:  that is 23andme.com.  As mentioned, they have recently declared a crash program to get at least 1 million testers and to do so have reduced their total cost for testing to $99 (16 months ago I paid $99 and a $9/month subscription for 12 months).  It has been well worth it just for the learning and entertainment experience, without even including the possible genealogical relevance.  Be aware:  23andme use DHL for overseas shipping, so that will add about $80 for you cost if you are in the UK.  But that allows you rapid receipt and a rapid turnaround.

Here is a link that might answer some questions although a lot of the information is somewhat out-of-date.

http://www.singularityweblog.com/23andme-dna-test-review-its-right-for-me-but-is-it-right-for-you/

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Lubok - Burgess was a title as well as a surname, are you sure he was referring to a surname?

As someone also descended from several love children (see my previous post) I recognise your problems/frustration, but realistically speaking unless some odd document surfaces (like a will or a bastardy order or a notation in a parish register or a letter in a solicitors archive) I accept that it is more profitable to research other lines after a day or two.  Given that 10% of births are not actually related to the recorded father anyway, the search is the fun.

Good luck

Hi and thanks Pejic and everyone who addresses my post. Pejic, my Granddad was given the full name of his supposed biological father (now proven not to be), but I only wrote the surname 'Burgess'... so in this case, Burgess is definately the surname, and not a title.

Granddad was born in 1916 in New Zealand, and I don't think there are such things as bastardy orders (could be proved wrong, however!) Hmmm... I shall think some more on this one!

Regards
Lubok
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Offline Storm™

• RootsChat Member
  • John Patrick Cox b. 17th March 1906 - My Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Thursday 07 February 13 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Well I can only speak for myself but I did have the test done and there are pros and cons. I am really glad I did have it done because otherwise I would have traced the wrong family.

So thats the basics the details are:

Got bought a 20 marker test from Genebase. (if you cannot mention companies here please feel free to remove the company names without asking)
The results came back and also where I stemmed from. Western Africa btw. So as side note I found out that you could use the results to compare to living people. Others that had uploaded their DNA results. Now at 20 markers I had thousands of matches. With nearly a different surname for each one. So here is the con. There is no point, in my humble opinion, to use DNA (Y chromosome) to trace your family unless you have the maximum amount of markers done. I did not know this at the time. Later I went with Family Tree DNA and had their 111 marker test. I feel they were more professional. The kit was better but the info was still evasive with regard to matching to living people. Basically what happens is you have a match at say 20 markers.

Thats great. If you have the same surname also brilliant. However just because you match 20 for 20 markers it does not mean you are related. Certainly not in genealogical terms. You could have another 20 markers tested each. But on those you do not match at all. The results are used to create percentage of relatedness. And at this marker match 20 out of the 40 tested you would not be considered to be related at all apart from 1000's of years ago - perhaps. Ok so if you have the maximum and they have the maximum and you match 111 markers for 111 markers it is probable that you are very related and within the last 100 to 200 years. Especially if you have the same surname. But it can also be much closer. So in that respect is it useful for finding your great grandfather ....

well just perhaps

In my case I had my grandfather. He has passed away but before he did he discovered that his surname was not what he thought it was. He found his surname was Peacock. Now I have traced him back from that point and also had the maximum marker test. I discovered that my DNA matches are all Forsters. Which is a surprise because they should be my surname. The surname my grandfather thought he had. Lucky for me my surname has a DNA project. I was able to compare my DNA with people who I know are in my family tree, who have my surname now. And I match them about as much as I do a pencil. Had I not had the test, I would have traced my grandfather back. And hen traced a family tree that is not mine. No I found I was a Forster. I found my grandad may have been given away by his mother, to her sister. I have found he was probably a twin. I have found out so much and it has cleared up so many mysteries that I cannot tell you how amazing I find this.

Had I not done my DNA none of this would have come to light. I would merrily traced the paperwok family and thought it was my bloodline. And they are literally nothing to do with me. And my grandfather was not a product of them at all. They came along a year after he was even born. But the DNA made us look harder and trace more carefully and gave us more information. I cannot imagine how gutted I would have been if I had not had it done.

I would totally encourage anyone to do it. It can also be made cheaper. FTDNA do offers. usually not on the 111 marker test. but you can join a family project and they often offer a discounted test. Usually 10% off. this is what I did. And today after two years I have finally found my bloodline LOL. The answers were there in the paperwork. But I did not know they related to me in any way. I know now ONLY because of the DNA.

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Saturday 09 February 13 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Nick

Just a point that I do not think has been mentioned re cost of 23@me which has now been lowered to $99.00 (they are aiming for a million subscribers) with no monthly subscription costs but the mailing cost to UK is around  $75.00.  I really like 23&me though and with Family Tree Family Finder,  a win, win situation.  Lookin2
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Sunday 10 February 13 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Nick

Just a point that I do not think has been mentioned re cost of 23@me which has now been lowered to $99.00 (they are aiming for a million subscribers) with no monthly subscription costs but the mailing cost to UK is around  $75.00.  I really like 23&me though and with Family Tree Family Finder,  a win, win situation.  Lookin2

Remember if they get their target number they gross $99,000,000. Not a bad day's work.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)