Author Topic: Winchester Assizes spring of 1814  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Winchester Assizes spring of 1814
« on: Saturday 03 December 11 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where I might be able to see a transcript of a murder trial that took place at the Spring assizes in March of 1814 at Winchester?

I have discovered that a possible direct ancestor stood trial at these Assizes with two other men.  I have got some information from the Hampshire Chronicle newspaper report, but am keen to see if there is any more information which would link this man to a family, and thus help me to positively identify him.

The case concerned a murder of a Pierre Lanuy on 27th January 1814 at Lymington, and the men who were tried were Philip Parkman, George Kent and William Clarke, all of them seamen employed on revenue cutters.
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline fizzix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Winchester Assizes spring of 1814
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 December 11 16:02 GMT (UK) »
according to the Criminal registers George Kent was given 6 months for manslaughter & the other 2 weere found not guilty :-\
Walls, James, Waterworth, Coram, Higman, Ecroyd, Battersby, Monk, Hine, Reid, Hancock, Glanville, Hudspith, McDonald, Podesta, Wyatt, Harrison, Scantlebury, Davey, Whiting, Edmonds, Glover, Donnithorne.

"All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Winchester Assizes spring of 1814
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 December 11 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Fizzix.    I actually know the result of the case, but what I'm after is a little bit more background to Philip Parkman to try to work out whether or not he is actually my ggggg grandfather.    I know that the revenue cutter he worked on, the Swallow, was based at Cowes on the Isle of Wight, which is where he came from.  I also know that several members of his family were revenue men, working on the cutters.

What I would love to find is something that links him with his wife, Jane, or some other relative that I already have solid information on.    Or something to say what age he was.    My ggggg grandfather would have been in his early forties by the time of this trial.

He is not the only person with that name in that neck of the woods, as I have found out, so I would like to be sure.
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.