Author Topic: Help with New York Mystery.  (Read 16037 times)

Offline ABoyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with New York Mystery.
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Sandra, that is terriffic  :) :) :) :) :) Now I know that both familes were so intertwined, the chances of finding out a bit more in due course have increased. The story is one that was not unsusual in Ireland, Thomas corresponded with brother Alexander back in Ireland, but Alexander dies in 1943, Thomas in 1942, the war intervenes, and the widows presumably did not keep up the correspondence. When Alexander dies, the back page of his Morturay card is dedicated to Thomas, and until now, the trail ended there.

Alexander fled to the states after the irish War of Independence/Civil war. and he was being persued by the British Secret service. he returned to Ireland and married and had children. His daughter tells me that he went into the states through Canada. She is hoping that one day, Thomas and Charles' family might make contact.

I have looked for your earlier refernce:"I emigrated from Liverpool to Phildelphia PA on October 15th 1911 on the Dominion. " Although I can find info on the ship and the route, i can't find a ships list,  am wondering if anyone stateside could help?

Everyone here has been so helpful, Thank you! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Your very welcome. Passenger list should be with you now. Hope someone can decipher the address -  :(

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ABoyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! I don't know why it seems fitting that this has arrived now, exactly 100 years after Thomas set sail to start a new life, but it does. The address of Bridge St clinches it - that is where Thomas, siblings and family were in April 1911!  I see you had posted the details above, and I must have missed the post. Even without the marriage cert, this pretty well makes it 90% certain we have the right men! Hope the cert comes soon - they say 4/5 weeks...

The Mrs Kane could  be on his mother's - Eleanor Carden side - I have a thread going on another mystery there - but Kane does not ring a bell...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,569642.10.html

To Everyone, thanks again, any more ideas to follow welcome - I have tracked down the Express Archive in NY and have emailed them to see if anything survives on Thomas as an Expressman, now wondering where to look for Charles as a railway guard. - This in the hope of further sightings of their spouses and children.

Many Thanks  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

AB

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I am really pleased for you - this is great work by Sandra.
Philadelphia explains why we couldn't find his emigration.

I'm not sure if I am a bit lost here now- is Charles the cousin from Carrowkelly - there isn't another one is there? (I know there are two of other names).

Can Mrs Kane be found in censuses? You also have Mrs Mountain who is a sister  to Mr Boyd (presumably) in 1911 and also those two young children called Bush -niece and nephew in the extended family.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this will work but here goes.

This is the address for Mrs Kane - can anyone help decipher please ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ABoyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Sandra, it is hard to read - I will take it into photo shop and see if I can lighten it a bit. I sent you a PM earlier.

Heywood,

When I started, the only ref to a Charles was in the letter - he is now def a cousin, through a document about land in the earlier generation.

There is only one Charles on the scene, he had a brother Alexander, as did Thomas. His (Charles) brother came through USA, as found out by Sandra. Off in search of Kane, Mountain and Brush now.

The other people mentioned in the letter were:  A Mr. Cline being nearly 90, Tommy Cosgrove of the Express, and Henry Carrol.  In his brother Alexander's photos taken in NY, a few people are named on the back - in the 1920's- are Mr. P McNamara, Joe McIlvane, Dan Stewart and Charles Stewart -and a Nurse Eillen Miller. It occurs to me that there may be another relative in there somewhere!

:) :) :)  :) :) :)
AB

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes, thank you received your message and have carried out your request.

Really hoping someone may be able to decipher  ::)

Sandra

Offline ABoyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Me  too, can't get it any better than you did, and many thanks for the PM and email. As I said earlier, I am off in search of the people mentioned by Heywood.  But it has been proven that this site has a lot of ace detectives!
AB :) :) :) :) :)

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi AB and Sandra: I had a look, but can't decipher it. Except that the second line has P.O. (for Post Office) in it.

Sandra: I'll send you a PM.

John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts