Author Topic: William Corlett b1783c - Douglas  (Read 6899 times)

Offline chickadee2212

• RootsChat Extra
  • HELP!!!!
    • View Profile
William Corlett b1783c - Douglas
« on: Saturday 03 December 11 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm trying to trace my Ancestor William Corlett (or sometimes written as Collett) who appears to be born in Douglas in 1783c
I know by 1805 he was settled in Liverpool, England, and stayed there till the 1850's when he died in Hindley, near Wigan

Where would you suggest I start looking for baptism, or even early years of his life?
Lancashire - West Derby/Liverpool/Toxteth
Corlett/Bache/Tyrer/Johnson/Connell/Moore/Grealey/Billingsley/McAdam/Shaw/Bulger/Daniel(s)

Scotland - Refrew (Port Glasgow) -  Brown, Marshall
Ireland - Grealey, Melvin, Connell, Moore

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Corlett b1783c - Douglas
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 December 11 20:21 GMT (UK) »
You   should   be  aware  that the  name   William   Corlett   was   as   common in  the  IOM  as  W  Smith  or   W   Jones.

Can  you   give   the   evidence  for  IOM  Birth  c  1783?

Offline chickadee2212

• RootsChat Extra
  • HELP!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 December 11 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I managed to track him down on the 1851 census, where he states he was born in Douglas. He gave his age as 67 there, so that works out to a 1784c birth

The 1841 census says he 58 (So would be born 1783c) & was born outside of Lancashire

Other birth references include:
  • His first marriage in 1805 he was about 21 (1784c)
  • second marriage in 1813 he was 30 (1783c)
  • & His death in 1854, aged 70 (1784c)
Corlett/Bache/Tyrer/Johnson/Connell/Moore/Grealey/Billingsley/McAdam/Shaw/Bulger/Daniel(s)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 11 08:48 GMT (UK) »
You  will   presumably   have   checked  IGI   records  on line   &   know  that   in   a 20  year  period   there   is   not   one baptism

for   a William  Corlett  in  the   Douglas   area.   You would  be  looking   for   a baptism  in    the   parishes  of  [ Conchan or ]  Onchan

and   Kirk   Braddan.  Douglas  was  still   a  village   then   &   not   the    Capital  Town.   What   info.  does  the   marriage  register

give ?  probably  "  son  of   William"   or    worse  still  just "  William   C  of  this  parish. Since   the  same  era  every  generation  of

my   family has  had   at  least  one  William  &   I   find   the  search  just  as difficult  as   you  &  I live   here  in   IOM.

Can   you give  all   household   info  for   1851?   

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 December 11 12:44 GMT (UK) »
you missed Wm Thos bapt Douglas St Matthews  17830415 s/o Robt Corlet + sarah Smith (never found a marriage)
also Wm Douglas St Georges  17840520 s/o Wm Corlet + Isable Norris (again no marr - 1st child Kk Michael then 10yr gap to Wm
(you should know thaton IoM  illegitimate children known by father's name )

ETA Douglas was not a village in 1780's - not sure where this myth arose tho repeated in many books - it was bigger than Castletown (the then capital) and had been for many years, housed all the key merchants and was the major port by a large margin - Attorney General Busk in that era looked for accomodation just a few miles outside Douglas at today's Mount Murray  so within easy reach of Douglas  but could also ride down to the courts in Castletown when the need arose.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline chickadee2212

• RootsChat Extra
  • HELP!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 December 11 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Voirrey M -
His first marriage was in 1805, in Liverpool & says "William Collett, Bachelor of this parish", so I presume he must have been there for a while. There are no father's details
His second marriage was in 1813, in Prescot & says ""William Corlett, Widower of the parish of Walton [Liverpool]". Again no details of the father >:(

on the 1851 it's as follows:

CORLETT, William, Head, Unmarried, M, 43, 1808, Rom.Cat.Pr.St.Bendict, Liverpool
CORLETT, William, Father, Married, M, 67, 1784, Proprietor Of Houses, Isle of Man Douglas
CORLETT, Ann, Mother In Law [Step-mother], Married, F, 67, 1784, Retired, St Helens
BALLARD, Mary, Lodger, Unmarried, F, 44, 1807, House Keeper, Hindley
HODKINSON, Ellen, Servant, Unmarried, F, 16, 1835, Domestic Servant, Liverpool

~~~~~~~~
Piece: 2200, Folio: 148, Page: 21     
Address: Mill Lane, Hindley, Lancashire

Frances_mnb
I'd discounted the William Corlett & Isabel Norris baptism, as although they (or their descendants) seemed to settle in Liverpool, they seemed to give their children the middle name Norris

As for the Robert & Sarah Smith, I cant prove a connection, but my William's children seemed to be named using family names
    Children with first wife:
  • William, (named after father?)
  • Mary Ellen (named after mother)

Children with second wife
  • Mary Ann (named after maternal grandmother & mother)
  • George (named after maternal grandfather)
[li]Robert[/li] (possibly named after Paternal grandfather?)
[li]James[/li]
[/list]

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 December 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Francess   &   I happened  to be  in   Library  today  & looked  at   some   films  of  copies  of   Parish   Registers.   Her  posts  were

from  her  own   database.

Douglas   St   Matthews [ in  Kirk   Braddan  Parish ]   was   a church  on   Douglas   harbour side.   The   record   was   as   Francess

wrote   ----    15 / 04   /1783    Wm. Thos.  son   of   Robt.  Corlet  and    Sarah   Smith.

All   recorded  marriages  just   had    maiden  name   of   brides  . 

Offline chickadee2212

• RootsChat Extra
  • HELP!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that. I'll see if I can match upmy family with that one :)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Apologies  I  should   have  written   -----mothers   maiden  names.   As   Francess   has  already   said   she  can   find  no  marriage

record  for  that  couple.