Author Topic: Athletae  (Read 6579 times)

Offline Pauline H

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Athletae
« on: Sunday 04 December 11 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Why am I having so much trouble finding the Passengers List for the ship Athletae? The particular voyage I wish to check left England late 1854 full of immigrants to Australia arriving there in February 1855. My gg grandfather and gg grandmother had to have left one of the ports around this time as I believe their first child was born in 1855 in Victoria Australia. I have gone through many passenger lists, but have yet to confirm which voyage they actually took.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Athletae
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 December 11 16:46 GMT (UK) »
hi pauline h
can you give us the names year of birth and places of birth you are looking for it may help overall , i,ve looked for the atheltae but the only one i can find was for a trip in 1890.
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 December 11 19:44 GMT (UK) »
http://access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/PROVguides/PROVguide023/PROVguide023.jsp
 - the assisted passengers list does have many listings for this ship, including for some passengers who arrived in Feb 1855.

Sometimes with earlier passenger lists you have to be a little flexible with spelling/details (persons listed as "adult" instead of their age, mistakes in names, initials or "Mr/Mrs/Miss" instead of a first name, etc).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pauline H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 December 11 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, the name of the immigrants are John Roberts and Fanny Harry (nee Rowe) who left England (port unknown). John was born in Guernsey 1828 and Fanny bapt in 1833 Trenoweth (1851 census). I believe John and Fanny married in 1854 before emigrating to Australia, (yet to confirm that date as no record has been found yet). Their first child died in Ashby, Victoria, Australia in 1855 as Helen Roberts (no idea of birth date). Another child named Selina died in Byong Victoria in 1857 (no birth date). I am only presuming both these children were born in Australia and died shortly afterwards (yet to clarify).  The third child Ellen Roberts (my g grandmother) was born in West Ballarat 1859 (confirmed). There are at least another four children all born in Australia. As mentioned in the earlier post I thought I had checked all arrivals in Victoria in 1854 and 1855, but did come across an entry for John Roberts arriving on the Athletae in February 1855, but no further details on this, hence the reason I would like the passengers list for that particular trip.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 December 11 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Assisted British Immigration index at the Victoria archives (link in message above) has a John and Matilda Roberts (both listed as aged 24) on the Athletae in Feb 1855.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pauline H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 December 11 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Further to the previous post I guess when looking at all possibilties with the two first borns, I could check passengers lists before 1854. While John Roberts is a common name, I have found Fanny being known as Fanny Rowe Roberts (as on headstone), Fanny Roharry and Fanny Rowe (as birth mother to the children).

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 December 11 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I found this one on Assisted passenger list

ROBERT FANNY 21 DEC 1854 AGRA 10 415
ROBERT JOHN 26 DEC 1854 AGRA 10 415
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 December 11 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Helens birth

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 December 11 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Selina's Birth

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.