Author Topic: "Hexham Courant"s family history page  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Hexham Courant"s family history page
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 June 05 15:32 BST (UK) »
The Hexham Courant is the local paper for a very large area, which is (approximately) along the Tyne valley from the border with Durham to the border with Cumberland in the West. It more or less follows the county border in the south, although it covers Alston (don't know if any other papers cover this area). To the north, it goes right up the North Tyne valley. I remember from my school days in Hexham that some children had to board in Hexham during the week because it was too difficult to get there and back on a daily basis. We are talking of about one third of Northumberland.

In the early days, there may have been other papers that were amalgamated into what became the Courant (or  they may have simply folded) but I'm not aware of any specifically for Haydon Bridge,

I found a website dedicated to North Pennine Ancestors (sorry didn't save the URL) where you might like to check for Haydon Bridge references. It's not as well used as RootsChat, but may be used by people who don't use this site.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 June 05 01:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying, I am registered with the North Pennine website.
Twiggy

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Twiggy,

It's me again - interested to see your further postings about the Maughan name. Daisy Maughan's brother Nicholas is the grandfather (possibly great-grandfather) of my sister-in-law, so you must be related ...

About the Hexham Courant. They have a family history forum you could try. I got one good lead from that, but basically it is quite infuriating. I had a reply from someone saying they had information, photos etc about the person in question but he has never come back again!

Cheers,

Ros

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ros,
I was so thrilled to hear from you. If you do get any info from your sister in law or any one else I would be so grateful if you can contact me again.
Twiggy