Author Topic: ALLGOOD family from Henlow  (Read 5210 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
ALLGOOD family from Henlow
« on: Tuesday 10 May 05 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just noticed that the earliest references in the IGI to the ALLGOOD family whom I have managed to trace back to the 17th C. in an area just a few miles north-west of Cambridge (Boxworth, Fen Drayton, Knapwell) seem to be for the 1540's in Henlow, which is not that far away across the County border.
Has anyone any info. on this family, or has come across them when researching the area around Henlow...?
Keith

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ALLGOOD family from Henlow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

There are no Allgoods in Henlow parish register transcripts 1558-1812 (which cover the BTs as well)!  All the IGI entries are cloud cuckoo land member submissions. There are three marriages of Frances and Joan which tie in with the marriages shown on the IGI but the surname in each case is Wakefeild. Not sure where the members got the Allgood from.

Anything pre 1558 is pure conjecture as the PRs don't start until 1558

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 13:51 BST (UK) »
David,
Thanks so much for putting me right on all that.  The entries I saw did seem rather in isolation to anything else connected with this family.  I'm going to have a good look at all things early-Allgood in the Cambs County Record Office tomorrow, so should come up with some more concrete entries for 16th C and 17th C in the area around Knapwell. etc.
Regards,
Keith

Offline timothypickles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,  have you come accross any links to an Allgood Family in Northants?
I've been tracing my family for 11 years now and would love to be able to link my family to others.  The earliest date I have  is the baptism of William Allgood @ Sywell, Northants in 1680. The family turn up in London, Banbury, Oxford, Cardiff, Birmingham, Sheffield, Hartlepool, Camberwell, Hackney, Lambeth, Stockton and Middlesbrough.

Many Thanks
Allgood, Stokoe, Harland, Downey, Minehan, King, Watts, Stanton, McCarthy, Sullivan, Murray, Mawston, Murphy, Tyson, Salton, Marshall, Bulmer, Garnet, Bowser, Pemberton, Alderman, Shuckburgh, Addison, Sedman, Duck, Ellis, Hart, Richardson, Coverdale and Green amongst others

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, Prestongirl,
Welcome to Rootschat - I'll think you'll find there are some extremly knowledgeable and helpful souls on here!  Though at present I am unable to help you with your Northants ALLGOOD's.  I haven't had to spread the net very far beyond a "corridor" either side of the present-day A14 in Cambridgeshire, back to the start of parish registers in the 16th C.   But I'll get in touch if I do find a connection with Sywell in Northants...
Very best wishes,
Keith