Author Topic: MV Staffordshire  (Read 10168 times)

Offline Charlie1962

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MV Staffordshire
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 February 17 08:43 GMT (UK) »
My father was onboard as a Fleet Air Arm newly qualified Artificer taking passage to Ceylon. A few of his draft were killed and one lost a leg.
He was 18 years old at the time.
He spoke warmly of the crew and how they dealt with the situation.
There was an RN officer on board with his wife and children and one of the kids was killed

Offline Tim O.

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 October 23 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

I stumbled across this thread while researching the pilot of a Focke Wulf Condor, which claimed the sinking of a ship on the same date and in the same area as the Staffordshire was attacked on 28 March 1941. There is an image in the photo album belonging to 'my' man, showing a ship under attack and captioned with the aircraft crew names. I am no expert on ships but it looks to me like it could be the Staffordshire. The crew of the aircraft were: Commander Lieutenant Robert Maly, Pilot Oberfeldwebel Karl Gendner, Radio Operator Wiedmann, Radio Operator ? (illegible), Flight Engineer Gollon. The aircraft belonged to 3. Staffel of KG 40.

Best wishes
Tim O.

Offline AmandCo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 April 24 06:39 BST (UK) »
My grandmother, Joyce Violet Thomas, was aboard the Staffordshire, and was taken to Stornoway on the Sama. Her aunt took down her account of events from being aboard ship to her return to London, and the file is attached. I'm sure all will find it interesting. My late father added some extra info about the attack and the Sama.