Author Topic: Leigh on sea, Essex  (Read 5287 times)

Offline yvoeliz2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leigh on sea, Essex
« on: Wednesday 07 December 11 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone shed some light on a large house in this area named 'Rackets' around about the 1900's.  I am looking for a girl who worked there named Kathleen Haynes born in London in 1897.

Was there such a house, or a house with a similar name?  Any information would be great.
Thanks
Robinson, Bolton, Bryant, Tydeman, Turner, Robertson

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Leigh on sea, Essex
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Southend library or  Essex Archives    http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/   might be able to help.

Do you have a street name  or just "Rackets"?   There is a possibility that the house is still there but under a new name.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 22:13 GMT (UK) »
hi
for what it,s worth i,ve just looked through the 1901/1911 cen address search for leigh on sea and the nearest that comes up is a house called ROCKLEY in sea view rd  the person search gives a mary hannah  widow 39 occ taking boarders b spoorle norfolk .
if kathleen haynes was born 1897 when did she work at this rackets ?!
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline yvoeliz2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 December 11 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your prompt replies.  I am trying to help an elderly lady locate Kathleen Haynes.  She has been told that she worked in a large house called Rackets in Leigh on sea from about 1914-25, which was associated with Lord Leigh (Lee or Lea?).  Apparently he also had property in Hampstead.  Unfortunately how much of this is fact and how much is mis-remembered information I have no idea, although she is sure about Kathleen being born in 1897 in London.  Unfortunately the informants are now deceased so it is impossible to verify any of the information about the house.

Looking at the archives link it would seem that there was no such Lord in the area.  I have looked for a marriage of Kathleen and also a death, but unfortunately nothing fits with the information I have been given.

Many thanks for your time.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 December 11 09:19 GMT (UK) »
hi
the only birth i can find using both london and middlesex as a search is for this one for kathleen annie e haynes reg dist holborn vol 1b p 634 year 1897 , the nearest after that appears to be for  kathleen doris haynes  reg dist st giles vol 1b p 556 year 1900
i did also find a death reg for a kathleen a haynes age 33 reg dist brentford vol 3a p 165 .

but i must stress this info is pure speculation and should be taken on face value only not fact until investigated further .
so far i can,t find any more definate info for the dear lady your helping and as nanny jan has said it looks like you need a look either in southend library or essex archives or even essex family history soc  for more detailed info ,but it,s like the needle and haystack scenario .
regards
trevor

Offline SouthendSue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 December 11 14:05 GMT (UK) »
There was a Lord Rayleigh which may have been misremembered but he was in Witham (the family seat, don't ya know!) in 1911. Of course there may have been a "seaside house" in Leigh with separate staff. But all speculation again!

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 December 11 20:15 GMT (UK) »
hi ss
you mean lord rayleigh he of the dairies fame , i wonder did he do a round himself do you think  ;D ;D ;D ;D
regards

trevor

Offline yvoeliz2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I have since discovered that on a birth certificate in 1925 an occupation was given as housemaid in The Racquet, Duke of Manchester Drive, Leigh-on-sea.  It would appear that this is the name of a house in what is now Manchester Drive.  Does this ring any bells with anyone please?  I could not find any reference to this in the Essex archives.

Many thanks

Offline SouthendSue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 January 12 08:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm not too sure what you actually want to know now? Are you looking for a photo of the house if it still exists?  Manchester Drive is now quite a long road and it wouldn't be easy to drive down looking for a house name! However if you can wait until the weather improves I could stroll down one day and see if it's still there (of course it may not have a name now)

Sue