Author Topic: Leigh on sea, Essex  (Read 5286 times)

Offline yvoeliz2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leigh on sea, Essex
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 January 12 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply.  If you are going down that way sometime it would be nice to know if there is 'The Racquet', but somehow, looking at Google street view, I would be surprised if any of the houses there are that old, ie early 1900s.  When it was called Duke of Manchester's Drive, it did not extend as far as it does today.  According to a 1923 map of the area it went between Kingswood Chase and Cricketfield Grove.  As far as I can see the 1911 Census of this area does not have a house with this name.

Probably a dead end as far as finding the tenants of this house, however I will keep looking.

Once again many thanks, I appreciate your help.
Robinson, Bolton, Bryant, Tydeman, Turner, Robertson

Offline woosorchard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 January 12 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've just checked the postcode finder on Royal Mail website but all properties on Manchester Drive have numbers!

Woo

Offline SouthendSue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 January 12 09:01 GMT (UK) »
That was a concern of mine too, Woo! Sometimes though an old name is on a plaque somewhere and I must admit to being intrigued now so I expect I'll wander down there one day (and I need the exercise!). My son lives nearby so I can pop in for a cuppa to warm up after...

Sue

Offline yvoeliz2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 January 12 21:22 GMT (UK) »
I have contacted the Essex Records Office and they have said that there was a property named Racquets on the south side of Duke of Manchester's Drive recorded in the 1923 Kelly's Directory.  James Edwards was the person living there at the time and in 1928 a Mrs Baldwin was the occupier.  I have no idea whether these people are relevant to the person I am looking for, but at least I know that the house existed. 

I can only assume that over the years the name Racquets has disappeared and been replaced by a number, although it would be nice to know if it retained its name.

Maybe this will help someone else who is searching in the area.

Many thanks to all who replied.
Yvonne
Robinson, Bolton, Bryant, Tydeman, Turner, Robertson

Offline MikeHebden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 13:30 BST (UK) »
I have contacted the Essex Records Office and they have said that there was a property named Racquets on the south side of Duke of Manchester's Drive recorded in the 1923 Kelly's Directory.

I can only assume that over the years the name Racquets has disappeared and been replaced by a number, although it would be nice to know if it retained its name.

Maybe this will help someone else who is searching in the area.

Many thanks to all who replied.
Yvonne

A tip which may also help - if you look at the surrounding entries in Kelly's Directories, you can sometimes narrow down a search as neighbouring properties sometimes remain and are still named the same - it's not infallible but sometimes works!  Good luck