Author Topic: Isaac Saunders-Kilkenny to Winnipeg  (Read 12797 times)

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Saunders-Kilkenny to Winnipeg
« on: Friday 09 December 11 01:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find information regarding my mom's uncle, Isaac Saunders.

What I know:
b. 27 Feb 1892, Ballyragget/Tinnislatty, Kilkenny, Ireland, to Robert
Saunders and Bridget Walsh Saunders.

Emigrated to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada around 1909. May have lived with
Walter Saunders or Malachi Saunders of Ritchot, Canada.

1914 address of 313 Bradford St., Winnipeg, Manitoba.  Wife's name not
legible (Agnes? Aness?, Anna?)

Enlisted in Canadian Overseas Expedition Forces, 44th Battalion, in Jan. 1915.

Any information regarding Isaac, and/or his relatives in Canada would be

greatly appreciated.

Thank you

KD
(1st time posting)
Moylan, Larkin, Saunders, Walsh, Kilkenny, Laois
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Saunders-Kilkenny to Winnipeg
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 December 11 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat! We'll see what we can find on him...In the meantime did you note the 2 siblings married in New York? http://www.rootschat.com/links/0i7w/  There is also a U.S. board on rootschat where they will find more for you... Off to hunt for something on your Isaac...

Haven't found anything substantial...don't see his immigration, nor have I found him on census yet...
 there is one Manitoba marriage but not an Anne.... Isaac William SAUNDERS & Mary Ellen WHYTE
 Nov. 29 /1910   PLACE: LOUISE  Mb. http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php
Will post first page of his signup even though you have it. I see that is where you got Ritchot... ...odd that he put Walter and not name his wife as N.O.K. http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gat2/080696a.gif

there is only a death for an Elanon Saunders age 2,1908 and a gabriel SAMIDERS 1909 in Ritchot...so may belong to Walter, but no birth to substantiate...also don't see Walter in Richot as yet in 1911 either...

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 December 11 16:47 GMT (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XLY7-T6X
Further information on this border crossing (although I think you have it as there has been a user submitted correction to it)
Crossed Dec 7, 1909 going to New York, New York.  Last address in Canada was Ritchoh, Man.  Arrived in Canada at the port of Quebec in 1909 with ship not known.  going to sister Marion "Stryash" (not sure how accurate that interpretation is) in New York.

Debbie

Added: Perhaps this location as to the families residence
http://www.ritchot.com/

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 December 11 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Wow, not finding these people on censuses at all...The mother of the Gabriel Saunders was Theresa Saunders...that's all I have found thus far... :-\ :-\
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 December 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Wow, not finding these people on censuses at all...

Same. I can't find any of the Saunders name mentioned in the opening post. I checked the 1916 census for Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta and there is a difference couple living at 313 Bradford Street.

Other than the border crossing document and the Attestation Papers, I can't find any trace of Isaac.

KD, did Isaac have a middle name? Could the marriage JJ found be him?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 December 11 23:38 GMT (UK) »
No luck with censuses here either.

An I Saunders with what looks to be the same CEF number as the posted attestation returned to Canada 28 Oct 1918 arriving Halifax on the Araguaya. There is no indication of his ultimate destination.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 December 11 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Wow! How great is this website! I am so very appreciative of your time and efforts. Thanks everyone for helping me find the elusive Isaac Saunders. 

I just finished reading the replies and haven't yet explored the links you all have kindly shared...but thought I would first post a response with what I do know (and my thanks) then check out those links and then post again.

The Isaac William Saunders that JJ found was born in New Brunswick, Canada, so that rules him out.

Although I didn't see any reference to Isaac's sister in my copy of the Border Crossing, that sister would have been Stasia (or Statia) Moylan, nee Saunders, my grandmother.

Mysteriously, Isaac never reached Stasia's home nor visited his other 2 sisters who also lived in NY.

Stasia was supposed to continue on to Canada to live with 'an aunt' but didn't get past NYC.  I thought finding Isaac would lead me to that 'aunt' and Walter and Malachi.

Isaac did not have a known middle name....nor did any of his 18 siblings (all of whom I have been able to locate)

The last entries in the family notebook (which I believe were the last contact Isaac had with his family)  show the 313 Bradford Street address, with the illegible first name of Isaac's wife and Isaac's service number and battalion assignment from CEF enlistment in 1915.

I have been looking for Isaac for over a year...
I have his Irish birth registration,
his 1901 Irish census,
the Border Crossing information sans the reference to Stasia,
the Attestation Papers,
and the entries from the family notebook

There is always the possibility that he didn't return from WWI...but the Saunders were all huge letter writers..I can't believe the family wasn't told and word is they wrote to Isaac's wife often while he was in the service especially.

They can't all of vanished, could they?

Thanks again for your time and efforts....can't wait to hit those links now!

KD

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 December 11 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Oops..in re-reading my original post, I see I listed the wrong birth date

Should read 27 Feb 1891 not 1892. So very sorry!

Polar bear - may I ask where you located Isaac's return info?  And thank you for that update. I'm so relieved Isaac wasn't a casualty!

KD