Author Topic: Isaac Saunders-Kilkenny to Winnipeg  (Read 12792 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Saunders-Kilkenny to Winnipeg
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 December 11 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Manitoba Vital Statistics show a marriage between Michael Sanders and Louisa Schenk 06/06/1907 at Winnipeg.  The daughter on the 1911 census Helen could be the one born 16/11/1901 at Winnipeg with the mother's name mistranscribed on the record as Lauria Scroggie.  There is a death for Michael Sanders registered at St. Vital on 19/04/1915 at age 74.  Any of these can be ordered for $12.00 each and might contain information to include or exclude as family.

The family you found in 1901 is in Lisgar Manitoba on the 1891 census.  Wife Mary is alive and shows an 1845 birth in Ireland.  Children are Michael 17, John 16, Catherine 14, Julia 11, Phillip 9, Walter 7 and William 2.  All children born in U.S.

On the 1880 US Census for Esopus Ulster New York State
Michael Sanders 40, b. Ire. with wife Mary 34 b. Ire and children
James 9 b. New York, John 6 b. New York, Katie 4 b. New York and Julia 6 mos. b. Jan in New York

Debbie

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 December 11 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Polar Bear - I found the passenger list for Isaac that you referenced, thanks for the info.  And the link to get Isaac's service file is true treasure.

I had posted my original inquiry on ancestry.com as well as here.  Tonight I received a reply, and thought I would share the following:

follow this link for obit

http://manitobia.ca/content/en/newspapers/WPT/1945/06/28/articles/226.xml/iarchives?query=isaac%20saunders

and another obit posted a day later

http://manitobia.ca/content/en/newspapers/WPT/1945/06/29/articles/218.xml/iarchives?query=isaac%20saunders

I know Isaac initially entered Canada in 1909, and then entered the US later that year.  The next documented contact with the family contains the Bradford Street address, and
the illegible wife's name, which was 1914.

Using the 1914 date would fit with the information in the 1st obituary.

I guess it's safe to say we found Isaac.

JJ, vbain, Debbie, Jacquie, and Polar Bear - I can't thank you enough for your help in searching for Isaac and for making my first RootsChat.com experience a terrific one.

All the best and thank you again...

KD

Moylan, Larkin, Saunders, Walsh, Kilkenny, Laois
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 11 December 11 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Debbie, I'll follow up on both these families!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 December 11 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Ah, had seen Michael and son Walter, but I didn't see him with or  near that family & don't have my usual time to open the mind up to make the connections... Well done everyone...
I don't get to look at the directories all that often, but should I make a trip I'll have a peek for Isaac, if you still want a little more information from any Winnipeg entries...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 December 11 15:56 GMT (UK) »
JJ- I would greatly appreciate any and all information...following up on Debbie's post I have begun to attach the Lisgar Michael's info to brother Mick's profile on the ancestry family tree. I hope to learn as much as I can about the Canadian branch of the Saunders family.

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 December 11 16:26 GMT (UK) »
As an aside...I told my mom, Mary, (Stasia's 10th and youngest child) about finding Isaac. 

Stasia would often wonder aloud as to what happened to Isaac.  Mary commented "isn't it amazing that mama's questions are answered all these years past".

Mary now has her own questions as to why Isaac was out of communication with his family. 

It's a must that I order Isaac's military service file.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 December 11 18:18 GMT (UK) »
The 1921 Canada census is due to be released in 2013. Bit of a wait but not too long now and perhaps this will shed some light on your family.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 December 11 18:37 GMT (UK) »
follow this link for obit

http://manitobia.ca/content/en/newspapers/WPT/1945/06/28/articles/226.xml/iarchives?query=isaac%20saunder

At least I've now discovered why I wasn't able to find his obituary in the Winnipeg Free Press - it was first published under the name Saunderson on 28 June 1945 and as Saunder on 29 Jun 1945.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 11 December 11 21:22 GMT (UK) »
although stars don't really mean diddly...Our Polarbear has earned hers asking few questions, but helping on the site...We are so lucky to have so many people with a sharing nature on this site.
Rather than start a new thread... I'll just say "Congrats on the new status, P.B." We really appreciate you on here...as we do all the others who give of their time and carefully treat other's genealogy as they would their own

KD you have absolutely done the right thing in posting information found for you. Wow, we can't train some who've been on here for ages to do that...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com