Author Topic: Isaac Saunders-Kilkenny to Winnipeg  (Read 12799 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Saunders-Kilkenny to Winnipeg
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi KD,

I was not too sure if you were trying to connect to an older post on the thread but can see that Addergoole is a new member so should hopefully be able to reply soon to your message.

Please note that as a new member Addergoole will not be able to reply to your pm until they have made another post on the thread ;)

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 13:06 BST (UK) »
With regard to Isaac's wife, if you look past all the medical reports in his military file and find his pay records you will see that when he first signs up he assigns 17 dollars per month of his pay to his wife.  It appears that the paymasters office had trouble finding the correct address to mail this stipend at first, and then the payments to the wife were stopped and re-directed to his cousin.  There is some reference regarding this change to a letter which might have been from a lawyers office.  I suspect that either the wife died or there was a marriage breakdown.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 14:00 BST (UK) »
Better correct my mistakes before I get chastised.  As seen on page 94 of his military file, Isaac's wife Mary received an initial payment of $55 in March 1915 and $20 per month from then until March 1916.  The last check was cancelled in reponse to a letter from Moore & Sutherland dated or recieved March 27, 1916 which appears to have said she was no longer eligible.

The address on this form of 361 Harbison is interesting in that it is the third and last address to which these cheques were mailed and also because this was across the street from 356 Harbison where Isaac's cousin William was sent the $17 per month that Isaac assigned to him after the payments to his wife were cancelled.

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Sarah,
Addergoole replied to my PM and we are now in corresponding about Saunders family history. My thanks again :)
Hello Manawakian! and thank you for your insights!  The original information I had showed the family writing to Isaac's wife as seen on attached.  I think JJ had pointed out the service payroll notation.  Can't seem to find marriage, divorce, death (beside obit) or birth of children records. I checked Census records through 1921... Only new information (aside from veterans records) I found was on FamilySearch:
Isaac Saunders
Employee
Canada Census, 1911

My continuing thanks for your help...
KD
Moylan, Larkin, Saunders, Walsh, Kilkenny, Laois
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
Checked a couple of Henderson's Winnipeg Directories, William Saunders was a resident of 356 Harbison in both 1915 & 1919.  Moore & Sutherland were barristers with offices in the Kennedy Bldg on Portage Avenue Winnipeg.  Looked for a " no longer responsible for debts incurred by ... as she has left my bed and board " posted in the Winnipeg Free Press by Isaac in 1916 but did not find.

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 15:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you anyway for your efforts manawakian.  And the hunt for Uncle Isaac continues... ;)

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 16:41 BST (UK) »
Amazing that FamilySearch came up with Isaac Saunders from the illegible original 1911 cenus shown below.  Ancestry has this as Isado Sanne &  AutomtedGenealogy as Isaac Samuels.  Feb 1891 birth fits, not shown below, religion Catholic, occupation farm hand.

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 16:49 BST (UK) »
Wow, that really is amazing! Thanks for the image  manawakian.  Isaac and i share the same birthday, February 27th, though some eighty years and an ocean apart

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 17:00 BST (UK) »
In the 1921 Winnipeg census there is an Isaac Sanders living on Henry Avenue.  He is shown as a 26 year old single male born Ireland, came to Canada 1910, Roman Catholic, occupation hotel porter.

The only other resident of this house was Emily Schofield an 18 year old single female.  She is shown as a boarder, born Manitoba, Roman Catholic, working in a restaraunt.