Author Topic: Isaac Saunders-Kilkenny to Winnipeg  (Read 12787 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Saunders-Kilkenny to Winnipeg
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 December 11 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Isaac's return was on the Canadian *A* indexed as I Saunders.

RE: the 1909 border crossing ...

Knowing the name of the sister in NY is a great help. The original image of her name to me looks like Stryesh Molion or Mylion so is probably close enough. Her address is given as 334 East 39th (I think) St in NY.

If one takes a Scottish accent into account, the person Isaac names as next of kin is likely his uncle named Malachi (doesn't look like Walter to me) in Ritchot.

Isaac gives his birth place as the town of Lisdonney in Ireland and states he arrived Quebec 1909 but there is a ? for the ship, unfortunately.

If you were able to access the image of the 1909 border crossing, did you know there was an image of a 2nd page that has this additional info on it ? (Click the forward arrow)

If you haven't had access to the original image, you might check if your local library subscribes to Ancestry Library Edition b/c this would give you access to these Canadian records and their images.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 December 11 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Isaac did not have a known middle name....nor did any of his 18 siblings (all of whom I have been able to locate)

Is it possible he did have a middle name but it wasn't on the birth/baptism records? The reason I ask is the LDS website has a Westchester, New York marriage for a John M. Saunders who listed his parents as Robert Saunders and Bridget Walsh. Here's a link to the entry:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FFT9-Y4F
There is also an image available (bottom right-hand entry).

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 December 11 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Jacquie - I stand oh so very corrected! 

Following JJ's link, I saw the entry for John M. Saunders, and for Mary Ann Saunders immediately after my last post.

Neither middle name is known to my Mom, or cousins in Ireland.

Also in that link I found Stasia's (Anastasia) marriage record! Her first name was transcribed as Hanastasia, which maybe why I couldn't locate it previously.

I just downloaded the image of John's marriage record, thanks to your tip.

SO Yes it is very possible Isaac had a middle name that's not shown in the family records.

KD
Moylan, Larkin, Saunders, Walsh, Kilkenny, Laois
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 December 11 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes we mustn't assume middle names don't exist...My ancestors would have never been found as some like their middle names better...or used them to know "Jr." from "Sr." I suppose...
This is the area he gave his address in  on your 1914 entry....automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test9.jsp?id=65943
The surname listing has some questionable entries which I cannot access....something odd about the results for anything with a question mark all saying not found in the district...
I have tried to complain before but they won't allow any new members onto their site as it is overloaded...
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test17.jsp?sdid=3940
If I had some time I would go down and look at some directory listings for you...but I am actually finally busy with some work to get done for the season...speaking of which, back at it!!!

and, oh dear...19 children?? ack ....I though my dad had a lot of siblings with twelve...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 December 11 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Polar Bear - Thanks for the heads up on the 2nd page of the Border Crossing document!

Know I know what Debbie was referencing in her post.  Feeling a little foolish for not catching that...but having that additional information more than makes up for it.

I checked Stasia's 1910 Census and 334 East 39th Street was her address.

I agree  the Border Crossing names Malachi, as Isaac's nearest relative in Canada. Walter was referenced as NOK on the attestation paper.  I think I must have mixed them up.

A little background info:
The town Isaac was born in was Lisdowney, in County Kilkenny. The town of Lisdowney, was divided into districts.  

The Saunders home was located across 2 districts: Balleyragget and Tinnislatty.  
At the time street addresses weren't used.  Letters were addressed and the return addresses alternately read  "Saunders, Tinnislatty, Lisdowney, Kilkenny"  or "Saunders, Ballyragget, Lisdowney, Kilkenny"

Isaac used  Balleyragget as his birth town on his attestation papers and as you advised he listed Lisdowney on the Border Crossing.  But it's the same Isaac  [I'm sure this was intentional on Isaac's part and done just to thwart later attempts to research his wherabouts ;) ]

Regarding Isaac's return from service...I apologize in advance for my ignorance but I'm not sure what "Canadian *A* indexed as I Saunders" refers to, nor where Isaac's return date, ship, port etc were listed.  Can I bother you for that information?

Lastly, I looked through the family notebook again (or rather my PDF copy of same) and saw an undated notation for Isaac with the following address "Ink Store, Post Office, 7 Eildon West, Manitoba Canada.

Vbain - the link to the Soldiers of the First World War - CEF is terrific!

KD

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 December 11 16:00 GMT (UK) »
There are at least 3 trees on ancestry for this family but all list a Michael b. 1882 and d. 1962 (place not listed) but no Malachi.  Are these the same person? 

The trees also show Walter b. 1889 d. 1965 in Ireland.

Debbie

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 December 11 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Apologies ... forgot you are new. A very warm welcome  :).

I generally use *A* as a short form for Ancestry b/c it is shorter to type.

The record for Isaac's return was on Ancestry.ca but would also be available through a world subscription or through the Ancestry Library Edition I mentioned earlier.

The indexing refers to what you would put in the Ancestry search boxes to find the record. Under first name he is only listed as 'I' in the image so this is what ancestry has his first name indexed as. The ship, port, etc are listed with this record. Hope this makes sense? If not, ask again  :).

Here is a link to the free record from Library and Archives Canada. Looks like it was a hospital ship. You can look at the images but the resolution is not good and there is no apparent way to increase the size to see the images better (like you can on *A*). Isaac is on the last page, upper right corner column.

Bouncing screen ... will continue
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline KDee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 December 11 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Debbie- 2 items

First - When I posted my original inquiry about Isaac, it never occurred to me to reference the family tree I started on ancestry.  Sorry for that.  That tree is at http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/21504291/family?fpid=1902404054.

With the exception of Robert and Bridget, I have limited information on the Saunders family. If I have information on a possible relative, I use all capital letters for the surname.  For example, Walter was listed as Next of Kin to Isaac.  I deduced that Walter must be Isaac's uncle, and a brother of Robert Saunders, but haven't been able to find other records for Walter to support that deduction, so on the family tree his name reads Walter SAUNDERS.

The Michael b. 1882, and Walter b. 1889 that you found were Isaac's brothers. Malachi (if that is a correct translation) was, I believe, listed as Isaac's uncle.

Second - I have been immersed in the automatedgenealogy.com website since receiving  JJs link last night.  I was looking for Walter and Malachi in the 1901 and 1906 census, hoping to find a connection that ancestry may have missed.  This morning, I concentrated on trying to find Manitoba Saunders with Given names similar to the given names of my Saunders family, in the 1901 Canada Census.

There was an entry in the family notebook that reads
"1867-Brother Mick went to America"
Wasn't sure if Mick was Robert or Bridget's brother, but made a leap and enter Mick as Michael SAUNDERS on the family tree.  I had found a passenger list showing a Michael arriving in NY around that time, but was unable to locate any other US records.

.....Here's where your brilliance comes in-
In the 1901 Census, I found a Michael Saunders in Manitoba, line 47.  The link to the 1911 Census at line 16, shows Michael "Sanders ?" with a son, at line 19, named Walter b. April 1884. (I think the 1901 Census, line19, lists him as Wallis b. Aug 1883)
There is also a daughter Alice, another similar given name.
http://automatedgenealogy.com/uidlinks/Links.jsp?uid=150215685

I had just made the connection between brother Mick and Michael from the Canada Census when I received your post inquiring as to whether Malachi could be Michael!  The fates must be at work.

Also, my computer is ancient...it takes forever to load any internet page, so please forgive my delayed replies.

I'm planning on searching ancestry for Michael Saunders Canada Census to determine if his birthplace is listed as Ireland...hope I'm not getting excited over nothing!  Given the speed of my computer it will take awhile but I'll post back with any updates.

Thanks again!
KD

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 December 11 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Continuing ....

You can also order Isaac's complete military file via the link vbain posted earlier (I'll re-post it here too).

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=214346&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=bsl8hreoae9niqkiv92sda6d31

Click on 'How to consult ... or order ...' just above his name. The cost is reasonable although it varies according to the size of the file. If he came home on a hospital ship, his file may be bigger than some but you never know.

PB