Author Topic: Dalgleish  (Read 3078 times)

Offline wjough

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Dalgleish
« on: Saturday 10 December 11 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information on the Dalgleish family. I believe that Francis Dalgleish moved to the I.O.M from Scotland  early 1800's where he married Martha Nicholl from Peel 1838. His grand- daughter Annie was born 1876 in Douglas, the 1881 census shows her living at 12 Lord street with a William Murray. she married James Edwin Roberts at  Newcastle on Tyne 1896 and moved to Manchester early 1900's. I would love to get Annie's birth certificate but it seems a daunting process.
Joughin
Roberts
Bull

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dalgleish
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 December 11 20:00 GMT (UK) »
civil reg only became compulsory post 1878 so probably no birth cert - if you buy a pretty cert from General Registry (see www.gov.im) then if no civil reg you get a copy of the official copy of a baptismal entry (if exists) - the new igi site (www.familysearch.org) has recently expanded to give better coverage of late 19th C manx records
One of the Dalgleish family did well - plug name into search on www.manxnotebook.com

was she illegitimate - remember that Manx custom was to know children by father's name - living with another family that may be her mother's ?
any thing with a Manx Connection