Author Topic: Shennan Shannon, Gledrie, Landsborough  (Read 5014 times)

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shennan Shannon, Gledrie, Landsborough
« on: Saturday 10 December 11 19:14 GMT (UK) »
William Gledrie m Janet Shennon
Children (some if not all) b Rerrick:
John 1752
David 1754 m Helen Sloan
William 1761
Janet 1763 m John McCartney
Andrew 1767 m Unk, desc's to ENG
Mary 1771 m Samuel McLandsburgh/Landsborough

John Gledries 1827 Castle Douglas Testament and 2 codicils mentions David, Andrew, Janet (and her natural son Robert McNaught as well as her two McCartney daughters), one son and three daughters of Mary Gledrie Landsborough, Alexander Shannon, Helen Shannon alias Mitchell, Mary Shannon alias Hyslop and a John Landsborough "in Liverpool, now deceased".
I have figured out most of the people mentioned in the will except for Alex, Helen, and Mary Shannon, and John Landsborough.

Now...

a William Shennon m Janet McBrair/Briar
Children b Rerrick:
Robert 1754
John 1759
Mary* m James Hyslop
Janet 1768
Helen 1771 m Alexander Mitchell
  dau Isabel b ca 1801 m Alexander Shennon

* - Mary Shennon alias Hyslop is presumed to be a child of Wm Shennon and Janet McBrair, although I haven't found any evidence yet. There are certainly large enough gaps in the siblings above to allow for a few more children.
Further, I believe William Shennon m J McBrair is brother of Janet Shennon Gledrie.

Any info appreciated.
Pat

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shennan Shannon, Gledrie, Landsborough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 December 11 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi The MI no 146 for Dundrennan Abbey reads,
 John Gledrie late of Whitehaven died Castle Douglas 25.3.1827 age 75.
His brother David Gledrie d Auchencairn 25.6.1829 75 yrs.
Widow Helen Sloan d 15.4.1831 age 70.

MI No 58 at Rerrick reads

By Alex Mitchell imo his father Jas Mitchell died Collin 7.2.1800 age 34
Mother Helen Shannon died Netherlaw 24.11.1861 age 89
Daughter Isabella died Burnfoot 9.5.1880 age 78. (widow of Alex Shannan)

There are a few more next to this one regarding Sshennon/shennan which I'll copy
up a bit later if you wish. Hope this helps.
Matt
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Shennan Shannon, Gledrie, Landsborough
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 11 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks
Aside from a transcription of the will, these are most of my notes on these folks. I have also viewed scans of documents at SP, but have a cheesy Mac genealogy program and haven't been making lots of notes because I will likely be changing programs soon.

Glenbuch Iron Works owed John 1025...I believe there were other names of fellows indebted to John Gledrie - Geo and Wm Buchan, Peter Commelin, John McCartney, Wm McAdam Esq, James Hume, James Wilson.
Executors were: Deponents David and Andrew Gledrie, Rev John Osborne, Dr Samuel McKean/McKuen, James Wilson, Maxwell Thompson (declined),

"Bill granted by the Revd John Osborne at Rosebank, Samuel McK[eun/eon/ean], Surgeon, Castle Douglas, and Alexander Broadfoot in Halket [Leiths]"

"Acknowledgement by John McPhearson in Castle Douglas, Peter Commelin in Milton and Alexander Broadfoot in Halket Leaths to the deceased"

Helen Shannon alias Mitchell is a beneficiary of John Gledrie d 1827 (presumed first cousin to Helen).

“ To Helen Shannon alias Mitchell at Auchincairn Cotton Mill, the sum of Five pounds Sterling payable within Six months after my decease. “

William Shennan and Janet McBrairs daughter Helen Shennan married James Mitchell and would be about 20 years younger than John Gledrie.

Helens 1861 death list her as widow of James Mitchell “foreman in cotton mill” - Burnfoot Netherlaw.

http://www.kirkyards.co.uk/rerrick/rerrick.asp?offset=40

Erected by Alex’r Mitchell in Netherlaw, in memory of his father James Mitchell, who died at Collin, 7th Feb 1800, aged 34 years. And of his mother Helen Shannon, spouse of the said James Mitchell, who died at Netherlaw, 24th Nov 1861, aged 89 years. Isabella Mitchell their daughter, and relict of Alexander Shennan, who died at Burnfoot on 9th May 1880, aged 78 years.

http://www.kirkyards.co.uk/rerrick/abbey.asp?offset=140

Sacred to the memory of John Gledrie, late of Whitehaven, who died at Castle Douglas on the 25th day of March 1827, aged 75 years. Also of David Gledrie his brother, who died at Auchencairn on the 25th day of June 1829, aged 75 years. And of Helen Sloan, relict of the said David Gledrie, who died on the 15th of April 1831, aged 70 years.

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Shennan Hyslop
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 December 11 20:48 GMT (UK) »
BTW, I have since located an online gedcom which has Mary Shennan b 1779, d/o Robert Shennan and Mary Cairns, as marrying James Hyslop b abt 1782...so, that likely changes things. I need to visit ScotlandsPeople (but I'm trying really hard not to).
"Mary Shannon alias Hyslop" could mean two things:
1 - Shennan is her maiden name, Hyslop is her married name, or
2 - she was a "natural" (illegitimate) child of a Shennan mother and Hyslop father (that would be a tad messy to sort out - I was hoping for the former).
Pat