Author Topic: Ballinagore  (Read 3800 times)

Offline jtboulter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballinagore
« on: Saturday 10 December 11 19:31 GMT (UK) »
My Carey and Cowan ancestors came from the Ballinagore area of Westmeath.  When I visit Ireland, where is the best place to begin researching back into my family tree?   I already have a lot of information. ::)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Ballinagore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 December 11 19:37 GMT (UK) »
it all depends on what dates and denominations you are searching... Full Civil records cover from 1864, and before then you need to check parish records.

You can collect civil certs in the GRO research room, they also have index books. The index is also available on the FamilySearch website.

The National Library in Dublin holds films of historic records for most of the RC parishes, and the RCB Library in Co. Dublin holds most of the Church of Ireland historic records.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jtboulter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 December 11 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you shanew147.

What is the GRO research room?

Cheers

Offline jtboulter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 December 11 00:48 GMT (UK) »
If I need to check parish records, which parish would now serve or be likely to hold records for Ballynagore?  I do have specific dates and all are prior to 1865.  Roman Catholic records are those that I need to access.  I don't seem to get anywhere with the link you sent as most are relevant to the USA or Canada and refer to family trees already researched and recorded.  I'd like to go to Ireland and do the research myself.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 December 11 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you shanew147.

What is the GRO research room?

Cheers

The GRO Research room is where you can search the index books for Civil records - Births Marriage & Deaths from 1864 on, or non-Catholic Marriages from 1845. Once you find possible matches in the indexes you can then order copies of the relevant certs to check the details.

Note the same index details can be searched much quicker, and without charge,  on the FamilySearch website.

The Research Room is located in Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1 - http://www.groireland.ie/research.htm

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 December 11 10:03 GMT (UK) »
If I need to check parish records, which parish would now serve or be likely to hold records for Ballynagore?  I do have specific dates and all are prior to 1865.  Roman Catholic records are those that I need to access.  I don't seem to get anywhere with the link you sent as most are relevant to the USA or Canada and refer to family trees already researched and recorded.  I'd like to go to Ireland and do the research myself.

Most of the Irish records on FamilySearch are civil records.i.e. after 1864. To specifically search Irish records it best to start the search in the relevant collection (see the links in the Introduction topic) rather than the FamilySearch homepage - this way, you the see only show results specific to the Irish data.

Ballynagore is shown on the townland database http://www.thecore.com/seanruad as being in the Civil Parish of Castletownkindalen, and this is in the RC parish of Castletownkindalen/Geoghegan. Baptism records for this parish go back to 1829, and marriages to about 1829, and the details are available to view on microfilm Pos. 4169  (National Library of Ireland, Kildare St., Dublin 2)

Some transcripts of the records for this parish also seem to included on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation (www.rootsireland.ie).

Shane
My Surname Interests