Author Topic: Mannix family roots in Man  (Read 2915 times)

Offline emrice123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mannix family roots in Man
« on: Monday 12 December 11 01:53 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for any possible information about the Mannix clan from Co. Cork, and possible connections to the Isle of Man.  Our family lore has it that the Mannixes migrated to Cork from Man.  I am wondering if they used another surname in Man, such that Mannix could have been a place-name.

Our ancestor from Cork was named James Curtis Mannix, and I wonder if a Curtis family from Man could have migrated to Cork bringing a place-name with it?

I understand there is some evidence that Mannix is a form of Manach, but the place-name theory seems more intuitive, and I doubt it should be dismissed out of hand.

Are there Mannings, Mangans, or other similar surnames on the Isle of Man?

Thank you for any help!

Email address not working.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mannix family roots in Man
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 December 11 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I have never heard of Mannix being a Manx surname? ;D

1901 census shows 95 Mannix people in England, Wales and Islands - but none in Isle of Man.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mannix family roots in Man
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 December 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
none of these names are Manx - often get queries re name Mann (as a family name) which is generally Scottish - letter x is not found in Manx (which should be Manks pre 19th C english influence) - www.manxnotebook.com has several papers on Manx family names
any thing with a Manx Connection