Author Topic: NORCROSS FAMILY-RIBCHESTER,PRESTON  (Read 7301 times)

Offline copenor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NORCROSS FAMILY-RIBCHESTER,PRESTON
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I know I'm a little late responding, but I am a Norcross descendant. I'm currently in Richmond, Virginia, but the rest of the Norcross family (at least my branch of it) is located in Maine and other various parts of New England.

I've been able to trace my family back as far as Thomas Norcrosse (spelling?) from Ribchester, England (born around 1558). Not sure who far back we can go prior to that, but I was able to find his wife and her parents (Mary Elizabeth Beddell and her parents William and Elizabeth.)

Hoping to reach out to other Norcross members.

Hi....I am David Copeland Norcross IV and am directly related to the same line as you and am from the Norcross' from Farmington ME and that area. I have lots of genealogy back from this family. What line in ME are you descended from?

Offline copenor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 20:48 GMT (UK) »
THANKS for all the good hints! And yes, Henry was a vicar, not a bishop..and a disgraced one at that. When we were there this summer, a local contact gave me a copy of the charges against him, and sad to say, he really disgraced himself! We saw many places with connections to the Norcross line, including what is left of a town which was named Norcross, which is located near Carleton off Fleetwood Road near Poulton-le-Fylde. The church at Ribchester is lovely, and right next to it, excavations of the ruins of a Roman camp are ongoing, plus right next door, there is a small but very nice museum of items that have been found there. I have joined the Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society and yes, Thomas Norcrosse was born in Alston in Dilworth..but he lived from 1558-1617. It was his son who came to America in 1633 (my 9th great grandfather). Again, thanks for all the clues...and after Christmas will work on those! Cerelle

Hi Cerelle. I am related to the same line, and particularly form the Norcross' that went to ME. I am David Copeland Norcross IV directly related to the Norcross' from Farmington ME and area. Which line did you come from after the Norcross' got to America?

Offline copenor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I know I'm a little late responding, but I am a Norcross descendant. I'm currently in Richmond, Virginia, but the rest of the Norcross family (at least my branch of it) is located in Maine and other various parts of New England.

I've been able to trace my family back as far as Thomas Norcrosse (spelling?) from Ribchester, England (born around 1558). Not sure who far back we can go prior to that, but I was able to find his wife and her parents (Mary Elizabeth Beddell and her parents William and Elizabeth.)

Hoping to reach out to other Norcross members.

I am related to the same line, and particularly form the Norcross' that went to ME. I am David Copeland Norcross IV directly related to the Norcross' from Farmington ME and area. Which line did you come from after the Norcross' got to ME?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 January 20 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello, David. Welcome to RootsChat.
You'll need to remove your personal email address as they aren't allowed in the public forum. Click on "Modify" above each post to amend your posts to delete the email addresses. There is a personal messaging option which new members can use after they have posted 3 times.
Your 3rd post seems to be a duplicate of your first one. Again click "Modify"; this time delete the text of the repeated post and replace it with "Deleted. Duplicate post."
I hope this helps.

Cowban

Offline Norkie94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 May 23 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hello, I believe the family name goes back before the battle of hastings in 1066 at that time we were Lords of the Manor and were on the saxon side before and during the battle of Hastings which was ultimately lost to the French. I myself am a norcross and was born in Preston in 94 both my brothers and my father and grandfather were born in Blackpool. I've been doing small bits of research recently on my father's side of the family but have not been able to find much as of yet! I'm thinking about doing a DNA test to give me some information to go on. I will update with any information I find.  This website I found has some interesting information www.houseofnames.com/amp/norcross-family-crest

Offline Norkie94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 May 23 12:19 BST (UK) »
I also believe the in a link to an old norse word 'kross' which later evolved into an old English word 'cros' so there could be some Nordic influence on the name and genealogy

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 May 23 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, I believe the family name goes back before the battle of hastings in 1066 at that time we were Lords of the Manor and were on the saxon side before and during the battle of Hastings which was ultimately lost to the French. I myself am a norcross and was born in Preston in 94 both my brothers and my father and grandfather were born in Blackpool. I've been doing small bits of research recently on my father's side of the family but have not been able to find much as of yet! I'm thinking about doing a DNA test to give me some information to go on. I will update with any information I find.  This website I found has some interesting information www.houseofnames.com/amp/norcross-family-crest

I would take anything you find on that site, or any similar ones selling "coats of arms" for a surname,  with a very large pinch of salt ...