Author Topic: Collier of Ballinkillen, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow  (Read 21943 times)

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Collier of Ballinkillen, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 January 12 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello and my eyes have bugged out, I never thought I'd find my Irish  family on line!
kate and Richard were my grandfather Robert Francis Collier's (born in Ballinkillen in December, 1897) parents. My grandad moved to London, along with his brother Richard, in the late teens, married an Anglo-Irish woman - Daisy - and they had 8 children. The youngest was my mum, Mavoureen Collier.  My grandfather retired from the Merchant marine after the war and became an architect (practicing in Surrey and London) and died in Croydon in 1974.
Radjar, if you have other information, I would love to know  more about our family! Just what you and Bill have discussed has been a real eye opener. In the Perrott area, there are links to Kate and Richard in the 1901 and 1911 Irish census. Your grandfather is Richard? His name is on my grandfather and grandmother's marriage license - he was a witness.  I would love to know  more about him!
And we have cousins still in Ballinkillen?? I have not found anything about Colliers still living there - another name?
Anything you can share, yes please!
Aine'

Offline rajadar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 February 12 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aine,
Its always good to hear from a long lost relative. Yes I can tell you alot about your family and about those that are still in Ballinkillen. My grandfather was James the youngest of the family and his son Richard is my father. My grandfather was not on the census as he was not born at the time. I can tell you loads but I have not formulated everything I have into a family tree yet. I only started it the other night. Richard and Kate had 10 living children Thomas,  Robert, Richard, John, Catherine, Anne, Elizabeth, William, Mary and James. Thomas had a large family in Ballinkillen two of which are still living there. Most of Kate and Richards family were in England at some time some stayed and some came home. If you want to email me on * I can tell you more.

Talk again soon

(*) email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses . Please use PM (Personal message) to exchange personal details

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 February 12 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi James, thanks so much for the response! This is just so exciting, I had no idea there were so many of us! You kindly provided an email address, but the system deleted it because of spam issues (is the bright blue explanation). That message suggested using private messaging, but mine is not working because I have to have posted at least three messages for that facility to work (good grief!). So, forgive me, I'm going to send you another message, in hopes that will make it possible. then we can exchange emails. No attachments, etc., are possible with the pm's, so emails are the only way to exchange documents, etc.
A bit fiddly in other words, but i won't complain :)
Aine'

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 February 12 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I hope the three is lucky! AC

Offline Corries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 21:09 BST (UK) »
I am the Nephew of Bob Collier. In 1957 I moved to England from Ballinkillen as a 18 year old boy where I lived with your Grandfather (my uncle Bob) for 2 years. My Father was Bob's Brother Thomas.

I have extensive knowledge of our mutual relatives still living in Ballinkillen and indeed the Collier family's ancestry reaching back before the Irish famine (courtesy of Jack Collier - another of your grandfather's Brothers) 

These days we live in Birmingham Uk and our strain of the Collier family continues and thrives ( I'm a Father of 4 adult children and Grandfather of 4 now!)

We would enjoy hearing from a (not so) distant family member and telling you more about our shared ancestry.

Best Wishes
John Collier

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
John, how exciting!!! Jimmy Collier and Bill Collier Davis and I have been communicating now for months, Bill and I have met and Bill and Jimmy are now meeting up in Kilkenny today through friday. This is just so wonderful. I@m in Dorset and off to Ireland to meet the family who are still in Ballinkillen and Thomastown next month. Jimmy and Bill will have read your message soon, I'm sure, but I'll copy and paste it to b e sure they can see it before Bill leave Ireland on Friday. Please get in touch, we are hoping, beyond getting to know one another, is to create a family network and perhaps arrange family reunions. All the best, Aine' (send me a private message and I'll send you my email address! )

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 21:32 BST (UK) »
John requires three posts before the Personal Message system is fully available to him. Once he has done that you can use PMs to exchange email addresses and recent details in private.

Leinster Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Corries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
Post number 2

Offline Corries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile