Author Topic: George Robertson  (Read 8688 times)

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Robertson
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Just following up on this post again. I finally got a printout of one of George’s children birth record as suggested earlier in this thread.    *Please see attached. [*Refer to link at Reply # 23 ]
It confirms he was born in Birmingham around 1876.

Hello zylar

Sorry, not able to help much at this stage. 

I note that the NZ birth printout you received, was for his firstborn who arrived a matter of months after the marriage (also) in 1901.

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but do you (or the other researcher Helen) have the birth printouts (or certs) for Ralph Ernest - born 1910 and John Dixon - born 1912 and if so, do they also show "Birmingham" as George ROBERTSON's place of birth ??

~  Lu

[* When I selected above quote, it didn't automatically bring up the link for the attachment you mentioned.    It can though be found at Reply # 23.  ]

Thank you for the suggestion.  I don't have the printouts for Ralph or John.  I will see if Helen replies as to whether she has them otherwise I might order them.

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Just following up on this post again. I finally got a printout of one of George’s children birth record as suggested earlier in this thread.    *Please see attached. [*Refer to link at Reply # 23 ]
It confirms he was born in Birmingham around 1876.

Hello zylar

Sorry, not able to help much at this stage. 

I note that the NZ birth printout you received, was for his firstborn who arrived a matter of months after the marriage (also) in 1901.

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but do you (or the other researcher Helen) have the birth printouts (or certs) for Ralph Ernest - born 1910 and John Dixon - born 1912 and if so, do they also show "Birmingham" as George ROBERTSON's place of birth ??

~  Lu

[* When I selected above quote, it didn't automatically bring up the link for the attachment you mentioned.    It can though be found at Reply # 23.  ]

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi zylar

My thinking with the birth printouts for Ralph and John Dixon, was that these boys were born 10/11 years after their sister Olive Clara (1901),  and so it's worth checking on what was on their birth registrations all those years later, regarding father's birthplace.    It may be too that the father George was the person registering these births ??  ... in which case you'd have another ("reliable") source if  "Birmingham" were to show up.  ;)

Like you, I'm puzzled that George's death printout gives "Scotland" as place of birth.   
[As with many NZ Death records, the Undertaker's name is usually stated as the informant to the death.]   
But, George had many children (and a widow) when he died.   

*  Did any of them live close by ?   
*  Can you think of an immediate family member who might have supplied info to the funeral director/undertaker.     

~  Lu

Edit :   sp. correction

Offline HelenAttwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
No I don't have poppas birth certificate (Ralph), was going to order them at some stage in the future as it costs and I am limited on funds at the moment. I am Ralph's son - Trevor Robertson's daughter (just to explain how I am related, my maiden name was Robertson).
I am thinking at the time George 2nd died it was Scotland was place of birth but all other docs so far say Birmingham of what I have, but then I don't have many due to cost. Not even Poppas death certificate, Robertson family didn't keep those things dammit!!!!
I'm not sure who may have supplied the information of his death, I've been doing genealogy on and off for many years.  In most cases the father registered the child when born, so Birmingham may have been what he said too. At time of death there were the ages of all children listed, I have the original from the death register book from Thames. And his parents listed were just surnames Robertson, which is interesting! And says he had been in NZ for 69 years, which means he was aged two when immigrating, but I am yet to find records of emigration! Cause surely his family would have at that age, still hunting. I admit I have even checked convict records just incase. Its a real mystery, but Im not giving up!!!

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Yes, I fully understand cost being a factor in not purchasing records ... and I wasn't suggesting birth records actually be purchased.    ;)
Wondered if either you or zylar had been in contact with others researching the family and whether they might have info from birth registrations they could share with you ?

*   Death record for George ROBERTSON  (1946) has already been added to this thread ... at Reply # ... 10

It has to be remembered too, that death certificates are never a totally reliable source of information.

~  Lu

Offline HelenAttwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Lucy2
On my side I am the only one researching and wanting to find information, and to give to give my aunt some information as she knew nothing, she is the only surviving daughter of Ralph. Last night I spent an hour or two going through immigration records, nothing that matches parents George and Elizabeth or George 2nd. SIGH I also tried other spellings. I'm hoping it just hits on something in the future.........if I hunt hard enough.
On George 2nd daughters Olive Clara's Birth she was registered by Agent J A? Storey " Agent authorised in writing by Clara Dixon person present at birth" (Helens sister) and in name of child Olive Clara "not present", she was registered 2 months later 17th August 1901 in Thames, but born 23rd June 1901, that's interesting why it took so long to register her, father listed as born Birmingham England
I wish I had a time machine!!!!!!!!!!

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 25 November 21 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen

I hope you don’t mind but I put the photo of George and Elizabeth that you posted onto the photo dating section of rootschat. See link below. It seems it is Edwardian (mid decade so around 1905) so that means they were definitely still alive in 1901 as you had confirmed in one of your posts.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=855724.new#new

Offline HelenAttwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 25 November 21 22:31 GMT (UK) »
More than happy with you sharing  :)

Offline zylar22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 26 November 21 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Helen,

I asked the forum if they could hazard a guess about whether the photo of George and Elizabeth is likely taken in the UK or NZ. A response asked if there is a photographers stamp or mark on the back? Or some identifying mark. I remember you said it had no names on the back though.

Thank you