Author Topic: Castle Ward (Ponteland) Marriage  (Read 5043 times)

Offline TyneLiz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Castle Ward (Ponteland) Marriage
« on: Wednesday 14 December 11 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody help ????  I am looking for a marriage between Henry Smith and
Margaret Elliott which took place in Castle Ward in

There is a marriage listed with a GRO number for 19th April 1862 between a Henry Smith and a Margaret Elliott but this is not the couple I am looking for.

There is another marriage listed on the LDS family search site between Henry Smith and Margaret Elliott  for 6 April 1862 but it has no GRO number so I am unable
to get a certificate.  This marriage is not listed on any of the other BMD sites so I am not 100% sure it actually happened.  Is there any other way of tracking this marriage down.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Ward (Ponteland) Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 23:08 GMT (UK) »
There is no other marriage listed between these 2 people on Ancestry or the FreeBMD.

I assume you have the certificate as you state a specific date.

May I ask why you are so sure that this is not the correct couple  ???

There is another marriage listed on the LDS family search site between Henry Smith and Margaret Elliott  for 6 April 1862

I have not been able to locate this but if it was a submitted entry as I suspect, not taken from the actual register, then its most likely incorrect
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 23:19 GMT (UK) »
 TyneLiz,

You are you looking for the marriage of a Henry Smith><Margaret Elliott that took place in 1862 , in Castle Ward ( that is, within the Registration District of
Castle Ward)

As you have probably already seen, there was such a marriage, registered within the June Qtr ( i.e. from 1 April-30 June). But you have rejected this one as your target.   What identifying  factors are you looking for in  "your" Henry and Margaret's marriage ?

The FreeBMD website shows only that one marriage in 1862 within the Reg District of Castle Ward. Castle Ward RD comprised four sub-districts.. i.e. Ponteland, Gosforth, Newburn and Stamfordham.

Michael

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 23:20 GMT (UK) »

Apologies to TyneLiz and patrish- I have more or less duplicated patrish's comments.

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
No need to apologise Michael, I had typed  but not posted it as I was rechecking so it  most likely did not appear on the thread when you posted.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline TyneLiz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 December 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the quick response.

I have the certificate for the marriage of Henry Smith and Margaret Elliott dated
19th April 1862.  I don't have any information on Margaret but most of the information on the certificate appears correct apart from Henry's father.  His father on the certificate is given as Richard Summers.

I have Henry born in 1839 Howick, Northumberland, as the son of James Smith C1810
Howick.

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 December 11 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I  thought as much, we come across this scenario quite often.

I haven't had time as yet to delve any further,   Henry Smith is such a common name, it may turn out that your Henry's actual biological father could be James, then his mother remarried to a Richard Summers hence the certificate name, of course this is only hypothetical at this stage  and  needs a lot more investigation .

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 December 11 15:51 GMT (UK) »
A few more questions. before looking further.

1. Have you found your Henry on the 41, 51 or 61 census's to find his place of birth or parents  ??? or on any census after his marriage in 1862  ???

2. Was there any given age and occupation  of Henry on the marriage cert. ???

3. What was Richard Summers occupation  ::)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 December 11 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Henry, parents, and many siblings appear to be with the father James, mother Margaret in the 1851 census  HO107/2420 folio 22 page 37 as a 13 year old if this is the correct one

I have one that used the step father as his father on his marriage however he was baptised on the day of his father's burial and his mother remarried a year or so later so he really only knew that father.

If you named the church perhaps someone that goes to the archives could take a look at the original.  The GRO ones are really transcripts made by the local registrar and sent to London.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk