Author Topic: Royal Scottish National Hospital (RSNH) -help finding patient.  (Read 4235 times)

Offline Aleera

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Scottish National Hospital (RSNH) -help finding patient.
« on: Thursday 15 December 11 16:57 GMT (UK) »
My dad's brother (John *) became a long-term patient at RSNH at an early age (roughly between 8-10 years of age), and the last time my dad saw him was around 25 years ago. 25 years is a long time to not see your brother, but it was very hard on him, reason why: during pregnancy, my gran ended up with Rubella in the first 20 weeks and unfortunately everything went downhill for John after he was born. He does not know anyone, can't see, can't do anything, really. The last time my dad heard anything about him was when the hospital needed permission from my granddad to remove John's teeth because he was constantly biting himself.

We don't know if he is alive, or if he was moved somewhere else. My grandparents died over 20 years ago, and my dad doesn't keep in touch with the rest of the family - we have no idea where they either.

John was born between 1952 - 1953, possibly in October. He originally comes from Armadale, West Lothian, and then was moved to RSNH. We've tried for a very long time now to try and locate him but no one seems to know if he was moved, or if he died. We spoke to someone earlier who is going to try their hardest to find out what happened to him, but of course, we've heard it before, so we've lost quite a bit of faith.

Also, I know RSNH only treated patients between the age of 5-21. My dad is sure he was still in that hospital well over that age, though there is still doubt in his mind. My granddad referred to it as the "colonies", and I think the other name for RSNH was "Colony Mental Hospital"? Or is there somewhere else known as the "colonies"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

* see next reply

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Scottish National Hospital (RSNH) -help finding patient.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 December 11 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

RootsChat is meant for finding ancestors, rather than living relatives.

Personal details of any people known or thought to be living will be removed, in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. So people here will be able to give you general tips and hints how to proceed, but not any concrete details.

You will also find more tips here:

Topic: Tracing Living Relatives
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,261434.0.html
and
Topic: Searching for living relatives and Rootschat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,142443.0.html

Good luck,
aghadowey (Moderator)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!