Author Topic: Thomas Lyson Mayor of Oldham 1957-8  (Read 13438 times)

Offline Mooncoin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lyson Mayor of Oldham 1957-8
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 18 December 11 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes we have it now.

My grandmother said a steepeljack but he wasn't it's a fireman, he fell from a tall ladder and was killed which is probably a fireman's job.

If George Prescott is the witness we are onto the correct family, whoo hoo there it is , fabulous thank you for all your help.
Alger: Ashton Under Lyne
Alger: Cambridge- Swavesey

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 18 December 11 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the marriage cert for Betty Young and John Gaskell?

That will give her father's name. If it is Joshua Lysons then it ties everything up very nicely.

Do you have John Young's death certificate?   It will confirm more about how he died and his occupation at the time.  If it was an accident at work there may have been an inquest.

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mooncoin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 18 December 11 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I haven't got either but I could order it.

Just a little anomaly ,when Betty married John Young was she named Lysons or Atherton because the later census has her name changed to Betty Atherton?

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 18 December 11 13:24 GMT (UK) »
I think this family had a bit of a complicated set-up with various illegitimate children, children from second marriages etc.

I don't think she actually changed her name to Atherton in the legal sense.   Either she was using that name day to day to fit in with the rest of the family - or her stepfather just put it down that way on the census as it was less complicated. You will probably never know.

But - for legal things like births and marriages - she used her REAL name of Lysons.

The same thing happened with Joshua and Thomas later - switching from Lysons to Young and back again but keeping the Lysons name for legal things like  births and marriages.

You'll probably never find out when or why they decided to alternate or what they were actually known by to their friends etc.   Just remember when you are searching for ANY of this family to try using all the various names available.

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 18 December 11 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I haven't got either but I could order it.

I would get them.....   This is a bit of a complicated story which would benefit from some concrete facts to make sure there are no more surprises ;D

Plus you can see the 2 Prescott/Lysons/Atherton marriage certificates on that online family tree so that saves a bit of money!   

You could possibly get Joshua Lyson's 1870 birth certificate too - just to check whether a father's name is given  (unlikely but you never know)

Milly

Offline Mooncoin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 18 December 11 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry charge nearly £30 which does work out expensive when you make a mistake and accidently order the wrong certificate.

Maybe I should post the death certificate 1886 of Harriet Leigh age 16 from Droylesden in Manchester on here, it could be someone's relative. lol

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 18 December 11 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Noooooo :D  Don't pay £30.   :D :D :D :D :D

Get them direct from the General Register Office. They cost £9.25

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Use the reference numbers given earlier in this thread.

You are lucky in that the Hindley parish records are so good (and you get to see those other two certificates for free) - but there are times when there is no alternative.... You need to confirm each generation before going back to the one before.  As you have seen - just using the census is not very reliable ;)

Milly

Offline ferranti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
mooncoin iam the nephew of thomas lyson

Offline ferranti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 20:55 BST (UK) »
lyson family oldham three brothers my uncles oldest joshua/jack thomas and my father david my granfather i beleive was josh young he was the union convener at the oak pit hollins oldham he was 6ft 5ins and was arround 17 stone fair curly hair does this match your photos thomas trainee mechanic at the pit later north western bus co then landlord of the colliers arms cross hotel corner of honeywell lane and ashton rd oldham for 27 years my father used to run the pub when my uncle was away on buisness last address wylvere court queens promanade bispam cremated carlton