Author Topic: Thomas Lyson Mayor of Oldham 1957-8  (Read 13429 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lyson Mayor of Oldham 1957-8
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 14 June 12 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Ferranti and welcome to Rootschat!

I am not related to this family in any way but got very interested unravelling the mystery Mooncoin posted.  We discovered that Josh Lyson/Josh Young appeared to be the same person but could not work out why he kept changing his name.

I don't suppose you have any family tales to shed light on the mystery do you  ;D ;D ;D

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ferranti

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 14 June 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
hi Millymcb to start off you would need mooncoins photos to judge the mans size as i stated josh young was a huge man if he is not the same man then he is josh l yson ihad a photo of josh young but cannot find it if they they are not the same man then i beleive the father of my uncle joshua/jack and my uncle tommy is josh lyson born in wigan my grandmother moved to oldham with josh young where my father david was born i have always  had the name of lyson and my father took my grandmothers name the subject was taboo in our household iwas born 13th dec 1942                               

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 15 June 12 00:16 BST (UK) »
An intriguing mystery!

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
  • Who will tell your story when you're gone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 11:42 BST (UK) »
well this is very interesting! I have just got back on track with my Young side of the family as my mum heard "betty" went travelling apparently and nobody knew where she was? so it made me curious so I came for a snoop :)

I have that Mary Prescott and Joshua Lyson/s (so many variartions its confusing) had betty.
Joshua Lysons died when Betty was 1
Mary Prescott married James Atherton and carried on producing some children.

Betty young had a son <Joshua lyson/s>
Married John young and had some more children.
John died in an unfortunate accident in 1894 and she went onto to marry John Gaskell not long after.

I have looked through cemerety records in Hindley cemertery Wigan and both husbands are buried in the same grave along with a Joshuas children, also Betty is buried there too with some of her Lysons children....so even though they moved to Oldham at one point, they must have come back here...if this is the same family, it must be though!

Betty is my 3rd great grandmother, I still live in Hindley.
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline OUTLOOK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 13 October 13 18:30 BST (UK) »
hi I cannot access the user name Ferranti so I am using outlook.  as I have stated I believe my grand father was josh young.  when I started work at 15 in 1957 at Ferranti eng. as a sheet metal worker there where some men who had been former miners one was jack west who came up to me and said your josh youngs grandson I used to work with your grandad at the oak pit. my grandmother betty had a fish and chip on hollins rd my grandfather died first when my grandmother died my father david went to live with my uncle Joshua/jack and my auntie annie on limeside .    also living on limeside was a david young who had a daughter called mary who my father always used to refer to as cousin mary I believe he was josh youngs brother.   in the early sixties I used to take my father david and my mother elsie to a terraced house on the Liverpool rd Hindley who I believed lived a cousin of my father we would have a drink at a pub I think was called bird in the hand then I would go on to central park then come back and pick them up hope this helps.     graham lyson

Offline Fibrokitty

• RootsChat Member
  • Who will tell your story when you're gone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 20 September 14 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Outlook/Ferranti. Do you have any information on Thomas Lyson being the mayor of Oldham, i would have presumed something would be online but i can only find one council page but no pictures or anything, i know it was the late 50's so maybe he didnt have any taken, its not like it is now! I am going to Wigan history shop this week so hopefully something will be in the old papers/records of the family, the Young/Lyson is confusing a bit!
Banks
Atherton
Yates
Pearson
Gorringe
Young
Dickinson
Bowling
Briscoe

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 20 September 14 16:58 BST (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the Oldham chronicle to see if they have any pictures?
www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk

Heather

Offline OUTLOOK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 26 September 14 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi lalibelaboop it was 1957 when my uncle tommy was the mayor it was the year Oldham rugby won the championship I stood on the town hall steps with him at the civic reception for the team. Regarding any photos my mother and father had the official photo of my uncle and aunt in their full regalia my mother donated this to Oldham council in 1984 I have a large photo of the then mayor kevin leyden accepting the photo on behalf of the council.   iam sure this will be in the Oldham civic centre archives.     regards outlook

Offline OUTLOOK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 13 October 14 18:33 BST (UK) »
death                                                           

death                                                                   
Joshua lyson
birth date 1870/71
date of registration sept. 1925
age at death 54