Author Topic: The Ebenezer Congregational Chapel - St George in the East  (Read 1936 times)

Offline David Posnett

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Ebenezer Congregational Chapel - St George in the East
« on: Friday 16 December 11 17:44 GMT (UK) »
My grandparents were married in the chapel above (1926). She lived in Sliver Street, Mile End at the time.

I'd love to know anything anyone has on the chapel, I have failed to find anything at all about it online.

Where should I look?

Salzer (Germany/Walworth (1900)), Posnett (London), Edwards (London/Surrey), Stout (Whitechapel), Proud (London/Chester)

Offline peb21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Ebenezer Congregational Chapel - St George in the East
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 December 11 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  Don't know if this is of interest, Coverdale & Ebenezer Congregational Church

Whitechapel (Greater London)
Bigland Street
St Georges-in-the-East
London
E1

If you go to this site it shows what district St George in the East covered

http://www.thbmd.co.uk/history.php

Offline David Posnett

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 December 11 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Actually that is a really useful link. The boundaries seem to have changed all the time, so it is good to see it confirmed with dates.
Salzer (Germany/Walworth (1900)), Posnett (London), Edwards (London/Surrey), Stout (Whitechapel), Proud (London/Chester)

Offline David Posnett

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 December 11 19:39 GMT (UK) »
I found this:

Independent / Congregational Chapel Watney Street ~ Coverdale & Ebenezer, Bigland Street

This chapel was founded in 1785 and rebuilt in the 1870s as Ebenezer Chapel - by which time Christ Church Watney Street was next door. There was a small private burial ground (about 220 yards) off Ratcliff Highway, but as G.A. Walker noted in Gatherings from Graveyards in 1839, it was overcharged with dead...it is considered dangerous to open a grave; the neighbourhood is very populous. Mrs Holmes commented in 1897 that the chapel had been used as a school, but is now deserted; the small yard on the south side of it is used as a timber yard. It is now a  grassed area adjoining St George's Pools.

Benamin Sackett (1834-1900) was minister for many years, described initially as Independent and in latter years as Congregational; there is an interview in the Booth Archives. In the 1888 Religious Census of London, attendances were recorded as 137 in the morning and 335 in the evening. But Booth noted in 1902 yielding to the changed condition of its neighbourhood, it is now practically a mission church. However, it continued; renamed Brunswick, it was an East London Auxiliary of the National Sunday School Union - an interdenominational body of which Christ Church was the only local Anglican member!

It was merged into Coverdale and Ebenezer Congregational Church in a 1966-67 building (by S.N. Cooke & Partners) in Bigland Street, which created a small church and a (non-residential) Care House
. There was local opposition to a plan to demolish this building; instead, flats were added above. Paul Beasley is the deacon and administrator. It is part of the Congregational Federation - churches which opted not to join the United Reformed Church in 1972, when English Congregationalists and Presbyterians came together.