Author Topic: Morris in Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain  (Read 4049 times)

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Morris in Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain
« on: Wednesday 23 June 04 08:18 BST (UK) »
Looking for siblings of Margaret Morris b 1831. I know she had brothers/sisters named Thomas (1824), Thomas (1827), John (1829) and Eliza (1843) but wondered whether there were any others between 1831 and 1843? Any help gratefully received!
NB. Spelling of place name may not be 100% accurate as it varies on each doccument I find!
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Morris in Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What documents have you got?  Do you know the place of birth for the MORRIS family? 

I'm looking in the 1851 and 1861 Montgomeryshire census for you but there are lots of MORRIS listed.  Any info you can provide will help me to find them for you.

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Morris in Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thanks for your reply, I'd sort of given up on that posting so its really made my day! Here's all the info I have on Margaret Morris, my gggrandmother.

Margaret Morris b 16th January 1831 at Llansaintfraid Ym Mechan. Parents were Thomas Morris and Margaret and the siblings were Thomas Morris b 19th November 1824, Thomas Morris b 25th February 1827, John Morris b 19th December 1829 and Eliza Morris b 25th December 1843.
(All this info was found for me by a friend, I haven't actually seen the Parish records myself)

Margaret morris Spinster of Elm Bank, Eccles daughter of Thomas Morris (Labourer) married Elijah Cheetham of Barton Lane, Eccles on 8th November 1865. Witness Edward Morris and Mary Morris.

1871 Census: Margaret (from Llamnymynnech)and Elijah (occ = Gardener) living with William (age 4) and Rose (19days) at Barton Lane, Eccles.

1881 Census: Margaret (from Llandsauitfiad, MNT) and Elijah with William and Rose living at barton St, Barton. Lodger = Elizabeth Knott (age 55, from Llandsauitfiad, MNT)

1891 Census: Elijah, Margaret, William (occ = plumber) and Rose (occ = cotton weaver) living at Rutland St Eccles.

1897 Elijah Cheetham died age 68

1901 Census: Margaret age 70 occ = sick nurse.

This is all the info I have. I'd love to know when Margaret left Wales and whether she came with her family to Manchester or whether she came alone. Elijah is a bit of a mystery because I have his birth but then he vanishes until his marriage in 1865 when he reappears as a Gardener in Eccles. I've searched through the 1841 and 1851 census for him but without success. I was wondering whether perhaps he moved to Wales, met Margaret then returned but that does seem a bit of a long shot!!
I'd really appreciate any information on Margaret and her family!
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle