Author Topic: 1871/1881 Census  (Read 7326 times)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871/1881 Census
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 15:13 GMT (UK) »
http://halifax.ca/Police/AboutHRP/history.html

Interesting info about the history of the police in Halifax. It gives the old police station as being in the basement of a building on Lower Water Street.

Offline miked86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Valerie. I think she was born in Dublin, Republic of Ireland. I don't think Jospeh was still in the army at this point as he is later listed as a policeman while still in Canada. I've got a researcher to send me Josephs muster rolls for his time with the 87th. I'll probably receive them in the new year now. This will indicate when exactly he left the army. I think Thomas probably did any job available as barber and farmer are two very different professions.

I've checked passenger lists and no conclusive evidence can be taken from these. Mary remarried in 1919 and at this point Thomas is decease. Do you know if the Canadian registration would indicate if Thomas was already dead by the time she married in 1875?

Thanks,
Michael

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I made a mistake about where Agricola Street was located. it is in the north end of Halifax on the other side of the commons so away from the main downtown core and likely more residential. It runs parallel to Robie and Gottingen Street and ends at the Halifax Commons. It is still within walking distance to the downtown. I was thinking about Argyle St which is nearer to the citadel and the waterfront.

I should never post from memory.

Have a great Christmas and good luck with your search.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 15:31 GMT (UK) »
It didn't state on the registration that he was deceased but a barber so I would assume he was alive at that point.

It is very possible if there were no other siblings, they ended up in the poor house asylum. If so, I am not sure how accurate the records would be. It would be hard to find a burial I would think. I have never researched these records. The other possible is that they are transcribed incorrectly at the bmd site or died during the period that is missing.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 15:41 GMT (UK) »
www.novascotiagenealogy.com
deaths
1864-1877 and 1908-1960
city of Halifax 1890-1960
There is a definite gap from 1878-1890 and it is definitely possible that Thomas and Mary Shea died in that time period as they show as age 68 and 60 in the 1881 census.

Offline miked86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info on the police. I've followed a link on the site and requested a search of police records for this time. Hoefully this with the results of service records will give me a good idea of Joseph's whereabouts while in Canada and inturn may give me an idea of when/where he could have possibly met Mary.

Thanks and regards,
Michael

Offline miked86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes the gaps in the registration have not really worked in my favour. Mary was born a matter of years before births were registered.

I'll hopefully be able to piece it together in time.

Regards,
Michael