Author Topic: Urgent help needed  (Read 19746 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Urgent help needed
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 20:53 GMT (UK) »
The Marchant family (except Philadelphia we already have accounted for her bar 1881 / 1891 )

Richard Marchant bp. 5 Dec 1795 married Mary Ann Stuart by licence on 9 July 1828 at Lewes he a bachelor from Streat she a spinster from lewes
i am assuming Mary Ann died pre 1841 as she does not appear on the 1841 census with Richard although relationships and marital status were not given i am again assuming that Richard is with his children (next door to his mother and sister)
s/borough Laughton
Richard Marchant  42 Farmer
Ann 12
Richard 8
Mary 6
Elizabeth 4

All BIC

on the 1851 census, Richard by now 55 is and a farmer of 1.70 acres (at least i think thats what it says, could the 1 be a 4 i guess the dot is actually a comma ?) he has 5 labourers  this time is he described as widower and he has the following people living with him:
Richard son 18
Mary dau 15 or 16
Elizabeth dau 14
elizabeth Dennet marchant sister her age has been struck through but we know she was b. 1809 she is an annuitant
as is the next member of her family which is transcribed as Tanner Sarah but the Tanner actually looks like James to me ?? she is listed as Aunt and a widow ages 68. they have 4 servants. its strange because Sarah is the only person with their name written surname first.

by 1861 Richard has moved to Lingfield, St Piers Farm  and is a farmer of 231 acres employing 5 men and 1 boy with his son richard aged 28, dau mary 26 and Elizabeth 24. also present is Auntie Sarah who is now listed as Lodger Sarah Jenner aged 79 she is a landholder and of course richard Cane nephew aged 14.

Richard Marchant doesnt appear on the 1871 census and i can only think he must have died. i found his son Richard farming with his sister Mary in Withyham, thier cousin Frederick Springate is also there he is a head gardener. and to keep up the family trend even though there is just the 3 of them they have a young servant girl Emily Sharman just aged 12.

Eliz Dennet marchant 29 Sept 1809 doesnt appear to marry she is in Brighton in 1871 and dies there in 1879 aged 70

Emma bp.  23 Jan 1798 Streat married JOhn Beard from chailey on 21 July 1824
1851 as you know they are with John cane & Philadelphia
1861  1 grass square Alfriston, lives William Banks a master butcher, his wife Mary Elizabeth Banks b. chailey and their children Elizabeth Emma aged 2 and Julia Sarah aged 10 months and Williams mother in law Emma Beard aged 63 b. Streat all others b. Alfriston.
there is a death in 1874 of an Emma Beard which gives her age as 77, possibly your Emma ?

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 21:33 GMT (UK) »
i found Philadelphia in 1891
78 High Street East Grinstead

Richard Marchant 58 mar. commercial traveller b. Laughton
philadelphia Cane 79 widow boarder b. Streat
Ann Pollard servant 15
Isabella Sheppard visitor widow 58

Richard would be son of Richard Philadelphia's brother , he is marked as married but no sign of a wife.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 21:39 GMT (UK) »
so Auntie Sarah Jenner how does she fit in ?
she is Auntie to the Marchants so was she Sarah nee Marchant or Sarah nee Brooker i can find no mention of either in the little family groups i listed earlier
her age on the census suggests she was born 1782

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 21:52 GMT (UK) »
children of John Beard & Emma nee Marchant
 christened at St Peters Chailey
Thomas Rootes Beard 21 May 1826
Richard Marchant Beard 11 Nov 1827
Mary Elizabeth 31 May 1829
Emma 20 March 1831
Julianna  19 May  1833
Catherine 4 Oct 1835

John is a farmer on all entries.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Rootes Beard died 6 Sept 1862 his will was proved 22 Nov 1862 effects under £200.00
formerly of Keymer but late of chailey both in the county of Sussex
Gentleman deceased died 6 Sept 1862 at Chailey aforesaid was proved at lewes by the oaths of John Mason Beard of Chailey aforesaid Draper and Grocer and richard Marchant Beard of Plumpton in the said county miller, the nephews and the executors.

~~~

this must be Johns brother and not son

ii found Johns son marriage in 1868 

Thomas Rootes Beard
Full Age
Spouse Name:   Susan Hollingdale
   Marriage   31 May 1868
   St Pancras Parish Chapel:   Camden
Father Name:   John Beard
Spouse Father Name:   John Hollingdale

~~

the name rootes is passed down through the Beard family

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 22:05 GMT (UK) »
i'm signing off now but quickly

Catherine Beard didn't marry
she died in 1923 aged 87

1901  RG13;  880;  35; : 13
1891 RG12; : 68; 15;  23;
1881 Gothic House Ladies School RG11;  1064;  48;  4
1851  HO107;  1642; 518;  21
1841 at Clayton with parents siblings as previously mentioned and a younger sibling Sarah   HO107;  1111; : 4;  8;  10;

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Dear all

Thank you so much for your valuable time and the effort you have gone too.  I've put some of this together now and passed it onto my friend.  Unfortunatly the drugs that they are now having to give her means that she is really confused and can't concentrate on looking at the information.  Your work is not in vain, as I am going to put a bit more effort in to make it all nice and pass it onto her son and grandchildren.  She is still with us, but the doctors now only predict a few days, another week at most.  Thank you for helping me to give a dying lady a glimour of light.  You have all been so kind in what you have done.  Between us all we have found out quite a lot of information and I hope that one of her grandchildren will be interested enough one day to continue the work.

thanks again

Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear that your friend is in the last stages.  I hope that she is peaceful. 

I know that you will have a lot on your plate at the moment, but when you do get a chance to look over everything, don't forget to yell if you see something that is missing.

Best wishes to you and your friend and her family.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 17:46 GMT (UK) »
So sorry to hear about your friend.

I think that all of us were only too pleased to help where we could.

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate