Author Topic: Is it possible to make maps clearer  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to make maps clearer
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 December 11 22:51 GMT (UK) »
This looks like interesting stuff for maps, created by OS, and free for basic apps but available for an annual fee for the more advanced stuff:

http://www.magazine.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/magazine/tscontent/general/what-is-getamap.html

I must say I am tempted to take out a subscription.

Regards,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 December 11 22:53 GMT (UK) »
And here is an open source option:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison

Offline GFHWP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 December 11 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Brian

The answer to your question is yes. You can relatively easily produce a copy of this map using a drawing program. A vector graphics program is best.
The attached jpeg is taken from a mock up done using Corel Draw.

You would need to make the original a little clearer as it is difficult to distinguish some of the text and symbols as it stands.

Phil

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 December 11 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks to all that have responded to this me ssage. please accept my apologies for not replying sooner. I have been busier than I expected over Christmas.
Firstly to greensleves' messages: Thanks for both links; I was aware of the Ordinance survey possibility and keep meaning to have a detailed look at it as it seems a to have the potential to show how people have migrated across England in my family history research. Unfortunately it may have to wait until I retire in 3 years time!! The second link is new to me.
Secondly to GFHWP's message: I have the open source scalable vector graphics program 'Inkscape'.
I have managed to draw some simple coats of arms which have a very geometric shape for my website but I doubt that my skills are up to redrawing the map. I did copy the map into Inkscape as a bit map file but was then incapable of converting it into an svg file.
Michelle79 has done a briliant job with the map and has e-mailed me a better copy than the one on the message board. So many thanks to all for their help and encouragement
Regards
Brian