Author Topic: Co Cork, "Spencer Taylor" and "Quill" family name  (Read 4036 times)

Offline MintyM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Co Cork, "Spencer Taylor" and "Quill" family name
« on: Friday 23 December 11 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, new to posting so hope I do this right!  Trying to trace ancestor John Quill who was born in Co Cork so family story says. Born sometime 1834-1837, married Mary Driscoll (O'Driscoll) also from Cork, 21st October 1855 Chelsea, london.    His father listed as Michael Quill a farmer on marriage cert.  How do I find  where in Co Cork to continue search?

Also family story has it that Quills worked for Spencer Taylor family, presume England, but can't find them on census either, spelling correct? Or Irish family?   Currently can find no English census records for John Quill and any of his children from 1851 to 1871.  Appear from 1881 census only yet marriage cert and baptisms of children have them living in Marylebone & Pimlico, London at dates imbetween the missing census.  Can anyone help with either query and mystery?  Would be very grateful as haven't a clue where to go from here. Best wishes for Christmas

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Co Cork, "Spencer Taylor" and "Quill" family name
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 December 11 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Can you give some details of the children please - names/birthyears/likely birthplaces
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 December 11 14:51 GMT (UK) »
have you already discounted the 1871 for John Quill b 1839 Ireland and living in London with wife Mary Ann
RG10 Piece 545 Folio 68 Page 49

Ignore - wife was only 22 so couldn't have married in 1855
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MintyM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 December 11 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
yes I have discounted that, Mary Ann too young and born Middlesex.
Children are Michael b 1856,  David b 23rd Nov 1858 Pimlico,  Mary b.1861, John b.25th April 1864, William b.1866, Catherine b. 1869.   John and David definitely survived to marry and have children. Mary we think died young, the others certainly did.  Places of birth highly likely Marylebone, Pimlico, Chelsea.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 December 11 16:25 GMT (UK) »
The 1871 has a Michael Quill aged 16 b Kensington - with relatives

RG10 Piece 44 Folio 121 Page 21

Offline MintyM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 December 11 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello, yes that could be a possible.  We only believed David and John lived to adulthood, Mary believed died a young woman.  Luckily linked with descendants of John who filled in the other children who believe they all died before their 5th birthdays, sorry didn't make crystal clear they died so young. The family names the Michael in Kensington is listed with has no connection to our family. 

I have searched Census by addresses listed on marriage certificates near the time but the numbers of those streets don't appear in the Census.  Frustrating or what !  Thank you so much for looking into this with me, its  much appreciated.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 December 11 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Had a quick look and think this is John on the UK 1851 Census:
QUILL, John; Lodger; Unmarried; M; 21; 1830; Shoe Maker ; Ireland
Address: 8, Horace Street, Saint Marylebone, London, Marylebone

There is also a James Quill aged 24, also a shoemaker born in Ireland at 8, Paradise Buildings, Marylebone, London in 1851

I could see nothing in 1861 that matches but did make an interesting discovery There was a family recorded as Quill that when I looked at the original document to me was very clearly O'Neill in copperscript writing

Hope that this helps a little
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline MintyM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 December 11 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thankyou for your finds.  I too had a John Quill at Horace Street, but as the DOB was out a bit I wasn't sure. now you have found that I feel more confident it might be him.  No other family tho...  there is a James Quill as witness on Johns marriage cert so it could be a brother.   I have tried over 30 derivatives of Quill - phonetic etc Kwill, Cuill, even Zuill from the copperplate but no luck.  But the swap with O Neill Quill is worth pursuing.
Its so odd that all the names on the marriage witnesses and sponsors for confirmations do not appear on those 2 census !
Thank you so much for your help.  If there is anything else you can think of to find more I would appreciate it.
Best wishes

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 December 11 16:10 GMT (UK) »
To follow on:

There is a David Quill born Ireland and his family on Horace Street, Marylebone in 1841; he was born c1816
They are still at Horace St in 1851 & 1861 and by the 1861 census his wife is widowed and has at least 2 children Michael and Ellenor.

This could tie in with John Quill aged 21 at Horace Street on the 1851 census; he could have gone to his uncle in England and would then link in with names you mentioned in your PM e.g. David

James is also in the correct area and with the same trade bootmaker

In 1861 there is a David born 1831 in Limerick Ireland that is also a boot maker at 13 Grafton Court, Marylebone; his children's names again reflect all those mentioned; however as they were common names you would need to clarify further but the close proximity would lead me to check are James, John and David brothers and nephews of David senior.

Hope this is of some help
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder