Author Topic: How are books valued?  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Penmon

• RootsChat Member
  • Penmon Lighthouse
    • View Profile
Re: How are books valued?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 December 11 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for these links, which will be of great use to me. I'm interested in the  1950's and 60's era of Association Football.
Strangely enough, I bought a 'spare copy' of my father's book from a second hand bookstall where I live, for £4, earlier this year! My daughters can have a book each now!  :)
Roberts, Beaumaris, Caim, Penmon
Jones, Caim, Penmon
Davies, Llanrwst, Llanarmon Yn Ial
Williams, Nant Y Rhiw, Capel Garmon
Hughes, Capel Garmon
Michell, Cwmystwyth, Mary Tavy, Devon
Jenkins, Blaenau Ffestiniog

Offline ann255

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 December 11 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes have used ABE books - excellent.  Also sometimes in Amazon it comes up with other suppliers (particulary when the books are old and often only available secondhand).  Strangely it often costs more p&p than for the book. Recently I paid something silly like 11p for a book and 2.90 p&p.  - still a bargain you will agree.  But I have noticed with some books the prices can vary from a few pounds up to double figures for the same one - and no explanation as to why such a vast price difference.
BROWNING - Kent
DEARING - Kent
FOORD - Kent and Essex
GARRITY - Kent and Essex
GIBBS - Kent
HARE - Essex
JENNINGS - Essex
KEMPTON - Kent
PERKINS - Kent
PETTIT - Suffolk and Essex
RICHARDS - Kent
SIMMONS - Kent
THOMPSON - Suffolk

CLAYDON - NSW,AUSTRALIA

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 December 11 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes have used ABE books - excellent.  Also sometimes in Amazon it comes up with other suppliers (particulary when the books are old and often only available secondhand).  Strangely it often costs more p&p than for the book. Recently I paid something silly like 11p for a book and 2.90 p&p.  - still a bargain you will agree.  But I have noticed with some books the prices can vary from a few pounds up to double figures for the same one - and no explanation as to why such a vast price difference.

One of the differences explained to me by the owner/manager of an old-fashioned second-hand bookshop is that there is a company (I've forgotten it's name) that will create a new copy of any of the books that they have on film so it's not an old book but a modern reproduction. I may eventually go for that for a particular old book that I'm looking for, if I can't get a good price for it, as those I've seen are out of my range.  I did find the relevant pages on the internet so already have a print-out of the small part relating to my relative.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline Lal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 December 11 21:23 GMT (UK) »
In my experience, the well known books are the ones most likely to have overly inflated prices, whereas lesser known books with high prices are costed as such because they genuinely are in high demand or scarce. We collect Tolkien books and some of the prices quoted on Ebay and the like for first editions are nothing short of scandalous when a late impression first edition can be had for around a hundred pounds if you follow book dealers' websites. I always have a dip in boxes of books on second hand markets and in charity shops - I've often turned up gold (in book collecting terms) by doing that.

Poetry and books from small publishers are generally very collectable because of scarcity, and if he wrote in the Welsh language then there's yet another range of buyers who would be interested!
West Lancashire - Leatherbarrow, Hunter, Sherman, Formby, Caunce, Cookson, Wright, Finch, Roughley, Sutch, Almond, Parr, Lea, Smith, Wignal, Marsh, Lovelady
Liverpool - Cottam, Candeland, Stewart, Breen, Owens, Wiseman, Johnson, Cross
Cheshire - Monks, Candeland, Cottam
Co. Durham - Palmer, Adamson
Shropshire - Huffa
Wales - Owens. Ireland - Breen, Wiseman

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 December 11 23:01 GMT (UK) »
I wanted a book. It was about the Village which is where my ancestors came from.
I was quoted £70.00 + from both the other link and a secondhand bookshop.

Then I was looking for a Christmas present for a pal from the other site.
Low and behold it was only £18.00. It was hardback copy too

I was thrilled to get it.  I promise you it is the right one too! 
I had my doubts when I bought it!

Rabbit B  :)
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 December 11 00:23 GMT (UK) »
I wanted a book. It was about the Village which is where my ancestors came from.

Me too.  It was a soft-back, published in 2001.  When I googled it, I found it offered by a second-hand bookshop at £85.00.

I managed to contact the author, who had a few copies left.  He posted it to me the next day, and charged me £6.10 plus 70p p&p.  He was horrified when he heard what the bookshop were charging for it.

A friend of his also took photos of my ancestors' family house and he included that in the package.  And the book was fantastic, lots of old photos and even a couple of mentions of my family!

Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 December 11 00:26 GMT (UK) »

Me too.  It was a soft-back, published in 2001.  When I googled it, I found it offered by a second-hand bookshop at £85.00.

I managed to contact the author, who had a few copies left.  He posted it to me the next day, and charged me £6.10 plus 70p p&p.  He was horrified when he heard what the bookshop were charging for it.

A friend of his also took photos of my ancestors' family house and he included that in the package.  And the book was fantastic, lots of old photos and even a couple of mentions of my family!

So glad for you Mrs T,
That is lovely, so tired sorry I have to sleep!

Rabbit B  :)
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex