Author Topic: Michel Fay & Julia Moran  (Read 7565 times)

Offline wisteria16

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michel Fay & Julia Moran
« on: Saturday 24 December 11 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Can any-one help me trace the marriage of Michel Fay and Julia Moran about 1855 in county Offaly, ( I think the couple were both Catholic).  The couple moved to England around 1866/67 and on the 1871 English census state that they were born Birr & Parsonstown, Ireland.  Julia was born about 1832 & Michel 1831.  Any help on either the marriage or baptisms of this couple would be greatly appreciated. 
wisteria16

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michel Fay & Julia Moran
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 December 11 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Parsonstown is an old name for the town of Birr.

To search for an 1850s RC marriage you would have to check parish records.

Birr is in the civil and RC parish of the same name and baptism and marriage records go back to 1838 (The parish is sometimes listed as  'Birr and Loughkeen'). These are available in the National Library on microfilm Pos. 2478. There is a gap in the records around 1846.

A film of these records also seems to be available in FamilySearch centres. Their reference is 926091.

If you cannot visit either of these Libraries then you could try checking the transcripts of the Offaly parish records on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.rootsireland.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wisteria16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 December 11 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Many thanks for your quick reply - as I do not live in Ireland it will not be possible for me to go to the National Library. I think the only alternative is for me to look at the cost of contacting the Offaly parish records on the pay-website.
     Thanks very much for your help :).
wisteria16

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

They seem to have moved to Dublin before going to England as I have found these records - do they tie in with your family ?

Baptised 6 June 1860 St. Mary's Pro Cathedral Dublin
Name MICHAEL FAY 
DOB 3 June 1860 
Address 10 LITTLE GREEN ST 
Father MICHAEL FAY 
Mother JULIA MORAN 

Baptised 1862 St. Mary's Pro Cathedral Dublin
Name EDWARD JOSEPH FAY 
DOB 2 November 1862 
Address 10 LITTLE GREEN ST 
Father MICHAEL FAY 
Mother JULIA MORAN 

Tara

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I think I see the family in Salford on the 1871 census - Michael and Julia both born 'King's County' as are eldest children Patrick (15) and Thomas (13), then two children born 'Dublin' Edward (9) and Charles (6), then the youngest child Michael age 4 born in Manchester.

Shane

English census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wisteria16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane & Tara,

Many thanks for the information - yes these details relate to the family that I am tracing.  Michael & Edward Joseph must be the younger brothers of Thomas Fay who was born 1858/9 in Birr, County Offaly before they moved to Dublin.  Thank you very much for your help - the search goes on for the marriage of Michel Fay & Julia Moran their parents.
wisteria16

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Ok So,

I MAY have something

On ifhf I found the baptism of a Thomas Fa(h)y in 1858 in County Offaly to Michael Fa(h)y and Julia Moran.

I have read that the surname Fahy is a variation of the surname Fay.

Then on ifhf I found a Michael Fahy getting married in 1855 in County Offaly to a Julia ? The surname isn't Moran though - I'm not sure what it is ? Is it possible she was married before ?

These may be of some help but would need to be checked out !

Tara

Offline wisteria16

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara,

Thank you for your quick reply -  not sure now about marriage of Michel Fay to Julia Moran.  When the two children were Baptised in Dublin you have seen that the Mothers name was Julia Moran & it would appear that the same surname was used on the Baptism of Thomas in 1858.  I can't think what name she could have used when she married Michel Fahy but I'm sure we are talking about the same person whatever name she used.  I suppose it is possible that she may have been married before.  This isn't going to be as easy as I had first thought - how can I manage to get a copy of this marrriage certificate to enable me to try and unravel this mystery?   wisteria16

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 18:04 GMT (UK) »
It's free to join ifhf and to search their site

It then costs 5 euro (by credit card)  to view a church record when you get a match that you are happy with - please bear in mind that as the record would be before 1864 it is a Church Record and not a cert so there doesn't be as much info on them but they have proved invaluable to me with tricky cases like yours.

As they are transcribed from very old church records sometimes guesses had to be made to the handwriting so bearing this in mind I tried the surname Horan as opposed to Moran and got a match.

If you do decide to get the marriage, if you go

Advanced Search
Marriage Records
Fahy
Michael
Horan
Julia
1855 (o +/-)
-Tick Offaly at the bottom of the sheet
and you should come up with just the one record to view

Maybe if you get Thomas' church baptism too and see if there are similiarities between the churches and witness' you should then get a difinitive answer !

Good Luck

Tara