Author Topic: death date of Elizabeth CAHILL  (Read 7132 times)

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
death date of Elizabeth CAHILL
« on: Tuesday 27 December 11 11:00 GMT (UK) »
A mystery to me of what happen to Elizabeth CAHILL- She was transported to Australia onboard the SOUTHWORTH 2 from Ireland 14th June 1832 , came from Kilkenny received her certificate of freedom 18th December 1839 married in 1840 in Sydney  to Leonard J CHEETHAM have found nothing else out about this woman , can anyone point me in the right direction - I believe he was living in the Bowenfels area near Lithgow NSW but haven't found any proof.

Regards
Bozzle
Cheetham, Hill, Neary, Fennell, Baker

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: death date of Elizabeth CAHILL
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bozzle,

Isn't it Anne CAHILL?

V1840711 75/1840
CHEETHAM, LEONARD
CAHILL, ANNE
(Sydney, St Andrew's Scots Church)

Leonard appears to be Leonard James, but went by the name of James.  Anne possibly died before 1846 as Leonard/James remarried in that year to Elizabeth FRIEND.  James and Anne had a son named Leonard Cahill CHEETHAM around 1841 who may not have been baptised as I don't see anything on the NSW BDM.  Leonard Jnr. married Elizabeth Ann HAWKINS in 1862.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/60832859?searchTerm=leonard%20cheetham&searchLimits=

Debra  :D

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 12:03 GMT (UK) »
hI dundee

you are almost correct - I will take this slowly - Elizabeth Cahill also went under the name of Anne Cahill they did have a son Leonard Cahill CHEETHAM born around 1841 I too could not find his birth or baptism. Leonard J Cheetham died in 1846 reported by his brother James Cheetham ( who was married to Elizabeth nee Taylor married 1820) they had no children(have proof of this) she died in 1864 there is a marriage for Leonard J cheetham to one Elizabeth FRIEND in 1846 but this is not the Leonard J cheetham that died in 1846.

Leonard Cahill Cheetham states his father is James Cheetham but I can not find James having children and yes Leonard jnr did marry Elizabeth Ann Hawkins
I hope it makes sense

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 12:07 GMT (UK) »
To add to the confusion, back in 1834 (before the marriage) there were several notices in newspapers

CAUTION.
I HEREBY CAUTION the Public against
giving Credit to my Wife, ELIZABETH
CHEETHAM, or to any other Person than my
Brother, LEONARD CHEETHAM, who is
alone empowered to contract or pay Debts on my
account ; as I will not hold myself responsible for
any Debts so contracted, after this Notice.'
JAMES CHEETHAM,
Bathurst Road.
February 19, 1834.
 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12848808

So there is another Leonard and James Cheetham around Bathurst and James is married to an Elizabeth ?   :-\

regards,
   Ros

Adding I did get a red warning but this supports what you are saying Bozzle10
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 12:10 GMT (UK) »
 :D ;D

yes there is at least three Elizabeth's involved (TAYLOR, CAHILL, FRIEND) then junior marries another Elizabeth...

they are brothers never did find out what the intial stood for I am thinking maybe James but what was the mother thinking??
there is more notices like that later on I think Elizabeth puts a few out too

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Mr. James Cheetham is an elderly gentleman, residing as a squatter af Bungeabong, Marthaguy Creek. About twenty five years ago he married the defendant's (Charles FRIEND) mother, but had a son, Leonard, by a former wife. Leonard and the accused lived on their father's station, got married, and have each a wife and family.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/60832859?searchTerm=leonard%20cheetham&searchLimits=

James CHEETHAM married Elizabeth FRIEND as "Leonard J. CHEETHAM" ???

Debra  :D

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 12:35 GMT (UK) »
I have not found this so called son

James Cheetham's death certificate states former marriage 1 male living and 1 male deceased - HOWEVER his previous wife was Elizabeth (nee Taylor) doesn't show any children (column is blank) but in a letter to the governor and COmmander in Chief it states that they have no children.

Since there is no death certificate for the deceased in 1846 only written on his convict shipping papers there is no proof of which one died James or Leonard also note that from time to time the initals JL OR LJ are used.

Somebody is lying here hence the reason to find Elizabeth/Anne CAHILL'S death and just a question if James is Leonard Cahill's father why does he have the middle name Cahill ( my guess it would be his mothers maiden name used)
CONFUSED NOW??

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes very confused :D

So the only reason not to suspect that James and Leonard are the one person
(pretending to be 2 for bigamous and other? reasons) is that on Leonard's death it is his brother James who is the informant? 

Is this right?

cheers,
   Ros

Adding :And it is not an official death certificate for Leonard in 1846 so perhaps that is also faked?
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 12:50 GMT (UK) »
YES also there is a newspaper article that they were both caught for stealing sheep but acquitted at bathurst and both have appeared in court for varies other offences.

Leonard came out of the ISABELLA and James came out on the TOTTENHAM both in 1818
only 1 marriage found for Leonard but two found for James