Author Topic: death date of Elizabeth CAHILL  (Read 7133 times)

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: death date of Elizabeth CAHILL
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 03:57 GMT (UK) »
I have so much on these brothers quite a few times they had their cp revoked and reissued it has gotten to the point that now I am totally confused. I'm not sure why you think the date of marriage is interesting.
Cheetham, Hill, Neary, Fennell, Baker

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 04:12 GMT (UK) »

I know that her husband died in england Robert Friend in 1840 she came to australia with two children when I'm not sure. 

At a guess I'd say Elizabeth Anne CHEETHAM - nee BUNKER, formerly FRIEND either arrived with or followed her sister Anne, husband & family to Australia.
Anne BUNKER married Robert's brother William Smale FRIEND & they were in NSW by Jul 1841 with their children & more also born in NSW  :)

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 04:35 GMT (UK) »
And what I do find interesting is in James "Leonard" CHEETHAM'S will he mentions the following people
Elizabeth his wife
Grand daughter Edith Brownlow daughter of Richard Brownlow and his wife Elizabeth ann (nee friend)
Walter William FRIEND
Leonard Cheetham (his son is mentioned last)
William Walther Friend and Richard Brownlow are granted Executors of the will.

why doesn't he have his son Leonard Cheetham his executor of the will if he is his blood??

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 04:37 GMT (UK) »
If it was James who married Elizabeth FRIEND he would have had to apply to marry as he was not free on 9 Oct 1846.  I can't find any evidence of an application which is why I wonder if he was pretending to be Leonard.

Debra  :D

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 04:41 GMT (UK) »
another thing that interests me is when Elizabeth Cheetham nee Bunker/FRIEND dies in 1873 it states that she is the widow of the late Leonard CHEETHAM (but the name James is inserted between leonard and cheetham) she appoints her nephews Walter William Friend and Owen Friend trustees and executors of her will.
the names mentioned are
grandson Charles James Wilkins FRIEND
Charles FRIEND her son
Elizabeth Ann BROWNLOW daughter

there is no mention of Leonard Cheetham
All the property goes to the FRIEND FAMILY

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 04:43 GMT (UK) »
it surely is an interesting case one that has kept me amused for years.

;D once again the boys have taken over the research and left me with no answers to poor ann Cheetham nee Cahill

Offline BradStubbs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 December 23 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Only a decade or so late to the party but thought I would throw some additional info/analysis into the ring for anyone like myself trying to make sense of these Cheetham boys! I have put the following timeline together based on results from ancestry.com and other family history documents:

1794-6 – Leonard James Cheetham born
1797-9 – James Leonard Cheetham born Lancashire, England
1818 – Arrive separately aboard the Isabella (James) and Tottenham (Leonard)
1820 – James Marries Elizabeth Ann Taylor at Parramatta.
1840 – Either James or Leonard marries Ann Cahill (marriage cert states Leonard)
1841 – Leonard Cahill Cheetham born
1846 – Either James or Leonard marries Elizabeth Friend (marriage cert states Leonard)
1846 – Leonard dies
1858 – Birth of Elizabeth Cheetham, illegitimate child of Matilda Murphy (Aboriginal domestic servant) and surviving brother OR Leonard C
1862 – Leonard C marries Elizabeth Ann Hawkins
1864 - Elizabeth Taylor dies
1869 – Charles Friend charged with shooting with intent to kill Leonard C. Facts state Leonard C is the son of James who married Charles’ mother approx. 25 years prior (matches 1846 date - no mention of her current whereabouts)
1871 – James dies
1873 - Ann Cahill dies (death index lists husband as James and Leonard C child)
1873 - Elizabeth Friend also reported as passing (under surname Cheetham) however particulars match that of Ann Cahill (supported only by grave index). A separate death index (undated) lists Robert as spouse and Charles Friend as child.
1876 – Leonard C dies
1881 – (Illegitimate) Elizabeth Cheetham marries James Cowley
1891 – Matilda Murphy dies
1898 – (Illegitimate) Elizabeth Cheetham dies

As indicated, there are several questions which remain unanswered. My suspicions are:
1. James married Elizabeth Taylor
2. Leonard married Ann Cahill and fathered Leonard Cahill. Upon Leonard's death, James raised Leonard C as his own. Alternatively, James posed as Leonard to marry Ann and is indeed Leonard C's father.
3. James married Elizabeth Friend, again posing as Leonard.
4. Leonard Cahill is the father of the illegitimate Elizabeth Cheetham given both he and Matilda Murphy were both aged approx 17 at the time. Alternatively, James fathered her in his mid-50's.

The mystery of whether Ann Cahill or Elizabeth Friend died in 1873 (or both) is one I'm still working on...