Author Topic: death date of Elizabeth CAHILL  (Read 7134 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: death date of Elizabeth CAHILL
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 13:01 GMT (UK) »
To add to the confusion, back in 1834 (before the marriage) there were several notices in newspapers

CAUTION.
I HEREBY CAUTION the Public against
giving Credit to my Wife, ELIZABETH
CHEETHAM, or to any other Person than my
Brother, LEONARD CHEETHAM, who is
alone empowered to contract or pay Debts on my
account ; as I will not hold myself responsible for
any Debts so contracted, after this Notice.'
JAMES CHEETHAM,
Bathurst Road.
February 19, 1834.
 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12848808

So there is another Leonard and James Cheetham around Bathurst and James is married to an Elizabeth ?   :-\

regards,
   Ros

Adding I did get a red warning but this supports what you are saying Bozzle10

These are the same brothers, both assigned to work at Bathurst and later James was assigned to his wife Elizabeth (TAYLOR).

My take on it is that Leonard married firstly Anne CAHILL and secondly Elizabeth FRIEND.  His son was Leonard Cahill CHEETHAM. 
Brother James married Elizabeth TAYLOR in 1820, no children.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was James who died in 1846 and Leonard reinvented himself as James.  Do you know what month the death occurred?

None of this helps with Ann/Elizabeth's death.  Unfortunately if she just went off with someone else she might be impossible to find.

Debra  :D

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes James was assigned to his wife Elizabeth Taylor and from memory he was also assigned to Leonard. will have to view notes for that.
Agree that Leonard married Anne/elizabeth Cahill and believe they had the two children sadly no records for either births.

My belief is that James took over the role of Leonard after he passed away since his wife taylor was only a servant I think he left her and married Friend as she was wealthier and also had two children from her previous marriage.(sorry using maiden names as easy to identify..)

it has been recorded later on in the family that James is Leonard Cahill's father - so something is a bit dodgie there.

no idea of date of the death in 1846

I just need something to prove the theory that's why I was hopeing to find something on Anne/elizabeth Cahill
Cheetham, Hill, Neary, Fennell, Baker

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
How old was Elizabeth/Ann Cahill when she was transported?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil

she was 24 yrs old that was in 1832 no age mentioned on the marriage certificate

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Some interesting entries on FamilySearch.

The marriage in 1840 between Leonard CHEETHAM and Anne CAHILL notes that her father's name was John.  The only reason that I can think of for this being on an 1840 Church record is that she was under age and her father gave permission for her to marry.  Do you have a copy of that Church entry?  If this is so then it is unlikely that she was the transported Elizabeth CAHILL.  Why do you think that Anne also went by the name Elizabeth?

The 1846 marriage between Leonard James CHEETHAM and Elizabeth FRIEND gives a marital status for both as "married".  The only reason I can see for this one is that the Minister had satified himself that their respective spouses could not be located.  Have you seen a copy of this entry?

Debra  :D

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Some interesting entries on FamilySearch.

The marriage in 1840 between Leonard CHEETHAM and Anne CAHILL notes that her father's name was John.  The only reason that I can think of for this being on an 1840 Church record is that she was under age and her father gave permission for her to marry.  Do you have a copy of that Church entry?  If this is so then it is unlikely that she was the transported Elizabeth CAHILL.  Why do you think that Anne also went by the name Elizabeth?

The 1846 marriage between Leonard James CHEETHAM and Elizabeth FRIEND gives a marital status for both as "married".  The only reason I can see for this one is that the Minister had satified himself that their respective spouses could not be located.  Have you seen a copy of this entry?

No I have not seen this entry the marriage certificate I have is from NSWBDM  and is a unusal format since it was marriage by a special license and I know he was a convict it lead me to believe that was her- I have no other information about her just the marriage certificate. and of course the child having her maiden name cahill.

Ihave the certificate once again from NSW BDM for the marriage of James Cheetham and Elizabeth Friend - I know that her husband died in england Robert Friend in 1840 she came to australia with two children when I'm not sure. 

Where Can i see a copy of these entries please

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 03:14 GMT (UK) »
There are these two deaths,
8530/1874  Death CAHILL  ANNE  Father JOHN  DIED AT YOUNG NSW.
and this one.1160/1881  Death CAHILL  ELIZABETH  AGE 76 YEARS  DIED AT DARLINGHURST  SYDNEY   
Neil  :D
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Bozzle10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 03:21 GMT (UK) »
thanks Neil

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Leonard received his Pardon in 1836 and James was recommended (document dated 20 Oct 1846) in 1846.  I can't find a record of him actually receiving the Pardon. Interesting that the CHEETHAM/FRIEND marriage was on 9 Oct 1846 - perhaps he was pretending to be Leonard so that he could marry without permission?

Leonard was no longer a bonded convict in 1840 which is why there is no record of him applying for permission to marry.

You can purchase a transcript of the Church register from an agent, details here:
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm#TranscriptionAgent

You can also view the microfilm of pre 1856 NSW Church registers at many libraries.