Author Topic: COMPLETED Peterborough WW2 Newspaper article - which paper?  (Read 4392 times)

Offline Mygenes2006

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Peterborough WW2 Newspaper article - which paper?
« on: Tuesday 27 December 11 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, can anyone tell me which newspapers were around during the second world war?  My grandmother celebrates her 90th birthday in May and survived being bombed twice during the war.

The second time was in Peterborough and it was one of the few bombs (I believe) to hit the city, she had until a few years ago got a copy of a newspaper article which featured her and a photo of the bombed out property.  She was in bed when the bomb hit and went through two floors and survived.  It was truly remarkable.

After losing the article (we believe during a house move) she has often expressed her distress at no longer having it so I am trying to find a copy of it to give her for her birthday.  If anyone can help me I would be very grateful.  Her name was Edna Margaret Quince and mum thinks the bombing took place around 1943 but I can't confirm this for sure as don't want to press my gran too much about it all.  Last time I asked she couldn't remember which paper she was in and the only one I have found so far wasn't produced until the 1940's so I know its not that one.

Any help, suggestions welcomed.  Thanks in advance, MyGenes
Derrick, Dudley, Quince, Swaby, Wild,

Offline colin buckle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Peterborough WW2 Newspaper article - which paper?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 December 11 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Take a look at this Wikipedia article on the Evening Telegraph, which as you suggest didn't start until after the war. However there is also a paragraph on the Advertiser and Citizen which are older. Peterborough Library would be a good start for archives I would think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_Evening_Telegraph
https://colinbuckle.wordpress.com/genealogy/
Barrell, Bruce, Buckle, Ramsbotham (Suffolk), Meacham, Barber, Bishop, Bowers (Cambs)

Offline clare sharp 14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 11 23:09 GMT (UK) »
hi i live in peterborough and they have loads of papers dating back to then in the libary. i remember reading about that bombing also in a book which ill try and find out for you if you like, also if you cannot get i would be willing to look at the libary for you. just pm me.

Offline Mygenes2006

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi thank you both for your replies but the strangest thing has happened.  Whilst putting away his Christmas decorations my older brother found a biscuit tin in his attic, he opened it up and inside found the newspaper articles that have been missing and also some photographs, and a few medals belonging to someone i have recently been researching.

the reason this is all so strange is that my brother hasn't lived in the family home for nearly 30 years, his house is one he built himself about 6 years ago and he swears he has never seen the box before.  The newspaper cuttings were at my grandmothers house in Devon about 4 years ago before she moved to Wales to be nearer to family.  How these cuttings and other items have ended up in a biscuit box (which she doesn't recognise) and in his attic is completely baffling. 

She is very emotional about it all and as she turns 90 in May this has meant a lot to her to be reunited with the cuttings and photographs etc.  It was the Peterborough Standard that it appeared in. 

Clare you mention a book, do you happen to recall what it was called?  It would be great to get her a copy of her birthday.

Thanks for your responses.  MyGenes
Derrick, Dudley, Quince, Swaby, Wild,