Author Topic: What is a Stoker 1st class, Boiler Maker & Carpenters Crew?  (Read 16324 times)

Offline drobbo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What is a Stoker 1st class, Boiler Maker & Carpenters Crew?
« on: Tuesday 27 December 11 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Dear Listers

I'm trying to find out more about family who served in the Royal Navy from 1850-WW2..

After looking at Census and some service history, I have found that two served in the late 1800s and one in the WW2....

What does Stoker 1st class mean? My ancestor Reginald Fox served on HMS Glorious (which was sunk by German destroyers) and his job was stoker 1st class..... I am keen to understand what this job involved and the conditions on board etc....

Two other family members (Robert Lang Rice and Robert Langworthy Rice) served on HMS St George, Princess Royal, Duke of Wellington, Royal Adelaide between 1867/1884 .... the latter was invalided in 1887 in Plymouth Hospital. One was a carpenters crew and the other a boiler maker ...

How can I find out more about what these jobs involve, what conditions were like on board these ships and where these ships went during this time

DRobbo

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Stoker 1st class, Boiler Maker & Carpenters Crew?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Stokers feed coal to the boilers. The lowest rank was Stoker 2nd Class, then 1st Class, then Petty Officer Stoker, then Chief Petty Officer Stoker.

As the name suggests Carpenters Crew worked with wood. I dont believe there was a RN rank called boiler maker. So that would have been a civilian job.

Ken

Offline drobbo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 23:08 GMT (UK) »
thanks Ken

Offline Heilan'man60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 January 12 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Boilermaker was not a rank but a trade.  Some Engineroom Artificers ( Petty Officer and Chief Petty Officer) were Boilermakers.  In later years the title of  "Queens Boilermaker" was cherished.  There were also Coppersmiths, Enginesmiths, Fitters, Turners and an occasional Patternmaker.

Stokers did as described and much more in engine rooms and boiler rooms.  In later years "Stokers" became "Marine Engineering Mechanics"...a name change for recruiting purposes!

Offline Temic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 January 12 02:29 GMT (UK) »
My late grandfather was a stoker in WWII (HMS Whitehall), and my g.grandfather a stoker 1900-1912 on pre-Dreadnought battleships.

Usually, "promotion" from 2nd Class to 1st Class was - at least, in my g.grandfather's time - on conduct. My g.grandfather had a habit of being thrown into the cells for drunkeness, so found it difficult to maintain his 1st Class status.

My understanding accords with what's already been said: my g.grandfather would have spent a lot of his time shoveling coal, but my grandfather did more in the way of engine maintenance, reflecting the change from steam engines to internal combustion engines.
ESSEX Bonnett Burrows Clow (or Clough) Crampin Cressell Deacon Everett Heckford Humphries Missen Midson Pask Richmond Redgewell Tansley Tyler Whiting Wisby
SUFFOLK Brett Byford Chapman Churchyard Clow Coe Dearsley/Derisly Dous Hawes Mutimer Nunn Ransome Raw/Rolllinson Smith (Haverhill) Stollery Stringer Wallis Nunn NOTTS Hook Mills Pollicott
ENGLAND Parchment