Author Topic: Sheridan -Kilmaine -Mayo  (Read 8370 times)

Offline Cead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sheridan -Kilmaine -Mayo
« on: Wednesday 28 December 11 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone assist my search. In 1845 my Great Great Grandfather John Sheridan was evicted from his farm in Kilmaine (near Ballinrobe)Mayo.

Family stories say he had two brothers , William and Michael (also Farmers)

I have very little information prior to the 1901 census

Any advice would be welcome

Cead
Searching Meehan (Sligo)  pre 1900
                Sheridan (Mayo) pre 1900
                Berry (Dublin)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sheridan -Kilmaine -Mayo
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 11 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Here are some things that may help:

My Ancestor came from Ireland

Introduction to Irish Records

and the links on this Mayo board.

Griffiths Valuation

has a Michael and a William in Kilmaine area.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John K Sheridan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 November 12 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cead, my great, great grandfather was a Michael Sheridan, from Ballinrobe. As I'm early in this process, I do not know if he had any brothers.  However, the dates match up. 

Michael had 7 or 8 children, the first one, Mary, was born in Ballinrobe in 1867.  Since it's been a year since your first post, I'd be interested to know if you learned anything more. 

My great grandfather was Peter Sheridan, Michael's son, and possibly your great grandfather's nephew.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

John Sheridan, only a different one :)

Offline Cead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 November 12 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

My research shows three brothers :-

John,evicted from a farm in Ardkill,moved to Ballinrobe and his Son Patrick married Ellen Jennings and they lived with their children at66 Glebe street where my Grandmother was born in 1895.

William born 1815 Farmer and Labourer - Ardkill - two children(at least !) Margaret born 1853 and Ellen born  1859

Michael born 1821 Farmer - Ardkill - three children (at least!) Margaret born ?, Mary born1850 and Ellen born 1850 (twins?)

The 1901 census shows occupants of 24 Glebe St. as:-Mary age 40,Patrick her Son age 30 (Baker),
 John aged 16 (Baker),Peter 14 (Labourer),Bridget aged 12,Margaret aged 10 and Celia age 7.

Could 14 year old Peter be your Great Grandfather?

I was aware of John moving to Ballinrobe but told that his Brothers remained in Ardkill farming and there are still Sheridans' there today.

If you get a copy of the 1901 census it might help your search.

By the way , where are you?...I live in Essex UK

Regards

John berry
                Sheridan (Mayo) pre 1900
                Berry (Dublin)

Offline John K Sheridan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 November 12 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cead,

Unfortunately, the dates do not seem to match up.  My Peter Sheridan was born in Ballinrobe on April 9, 1874.  He came to the United States in 1892, and spent most of his life in Chicago.

I'm writing from Columbus, Ohio, in the United States. 

That's a good idea to check the 1901 Census; to see if any brothers and sisters were still in Ballinrobe, or surrounding areas.

As I said, I'm very early in this process, and am picking up where another cousin (who isn't even related this side of the family) left off. 

Offline Cead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 November 12 20:07 GMT (UK) »

Hello again,

Do you know if Michael or any of his children remained in Ballinrobe after Peter departed for the USA...if so I might find them in the 1901 census.

There are several Sheridans mentioned in the census.

Regards

John Berry
                Sheridan (Mayo) pre 1900
                Berry (Dublin)

Offline Cead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 November 12 11:45 GMT (UK) »

John

Just checked the 1901 census - this and the 1911 census are the only complete records that exist-as you know with rebellions and uprisings documents in official buildings made lovely warm fires!

two entries might interest you

A.......residents of a house 19 Clooncorraun were:-

Michael age 63 - Farmer
 Mary age 65
 Mary age 30 -Farmer's Daughter

B..... residents of 63 glebe Street were:-

Michael age 70 - Victualler
 Jane age 56 Wife
 Pat age 25 -  Victualler

My Great Grandfather Patrick age 50 lived with hia wife and five children at 66 Glebe Street.

Bit of a coincidence that two Sheridan families lived in the same street,don't you think?

If I find any further information I will let you know. You can browse The National Archives of Ireland and see see census information

Ohio....swing state ...I will be watching election results as they come in next week.

Regards

John
                Sheridan (Mayo) pre 1900
                Berry (Dublin)

Offline John K Sheridan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 November 12 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Ohio, a swing state?  Is there an election coming up?  Kidding, we'll all be happy when it's over. The attacks ads have been especially vicious on both sides this time around. 

It is an interesting coincidence that two Sheridan families lived on the same street.  I know Michael was married to an Ellen Partlane at one time, but could he have taken on a different wife later in life?  Was the older Mary his sister? 

My cousin, who I referenced before, had at one point had made contact with a relative on Ellen's side.  Let me see if I can get in contact with her to see if she knows the dates for Ellen, and where she lived later in life.

In the meantime, pray for decisive victory in the election -- Ohioans especially, can't take much more!   

Offline Cead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 November 12 09:07 GMT (UK) »
 Hi

Remember to check the National Archives and don't pay too much attention to numbers!

When the officer dealing with the census either in 1901 or 1911 started in a particular street,he knocked on the first door if there was no  answer, he knocked on  the next house and if someone answered THAT was number one...remember houses did not carry numbers on their door.So if say the first five houses were empty his numbering started half way down the street with NUMBER ONE..the first answered !!

Sometimes people listed in the 1901 census who you would expect to be 10 years older in the 1911 census are often say nowhere near the 1901 age...often this can be because the 1901 was a guess,or they were not home,or a female lied about her age (ahem!) or even a 1901 child had died in infancy and another was born say in 1902 taking the same name...sentimental people the Irish.

Also it was not uncommon for people to take in children of adult relatives who died to prevent the county sending siblings to the workhouse and on occasion such children might be described by the head of the house as my son or my daughter.

Latch on to say a Grandfather and eventually all the relatives will appear if the stayed in Ireland...trickier if the emigrated to USA,Canada or Australia.

Majority of the people in England like Obama probably because they don't trust the wealthy..not jealousy..they remember the sins of the Bankers.when Bakak Obama won four years ago my friend were surprised..I was not...I told them "they always give the worst job to the black man" you were in a bad state ,like europe and it will take a decade before we see real improvement.

Good luck with you search...I have a cousin in New york who avoided major storm damage...by the way don't blame the storm on the President...global warming!

regards

John

Sheridan (Mayo) pre 1900
                Berry (Dublin)