Author Topic: Sheridan -Kilmaine -Mayo  (Read 8356 times)

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sheridan -Kilmaine -Mayo
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 November 12 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, the dates do not seem to match up.  My Peter Sheridan was born in Ballinrobe on April 9, 1874.  He came to the United States in 1892, and spent most of his life in Chicago.
I don't know if  you have this information but you can see births for the children of Michael Sheridan and Ellen Partlane Ballinrobe on familysearch.org.
Link http://tinyurl.com/bwhjbzy
annclare

Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline John K Sheridan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 November 12 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annclare,

Yes, I was able to find Peter's brothers and sisters. Thanks so much for looking this up!  Sadly, that's about all I've been able to find so far. But again, I'm very early in this.  Thanks, again!

-John

Offline John K Sheridan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 November 12 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Cead,

I was able to look at the National Archives over the weekend.  That's good advice on how census workers just recorded whomever they found at a particular house.  That certainly explains some of the records. For example, people who were listed as 'visitors.'

Through Facebook I've found a few Sheridans who are currently living in Ballinrobe. One woman said she would ask her father-in-law who knows a lot about Sheridan family history, but I haven't heard back yet.

On the home front, my father, William Sheridan, sadly has very little knowledge of the Sheridan clan.  His grandfather, Peter, Michael's son, died in 1932, before my father was born.  His grandmother, Jane, died in 1963.  But for whatever reason, my father's family had very little to do with Jane and her two other children.

It seems there was one of those falling outs, which no one ever talked about.  I'm heading to the Chicago-area for Thanksgiving where there will be a lot of Peter's grandchildren.  My grandfather, Vincent had seven children.  He also died in 1963.  I'm hoping to get a little more family history there.  I should say, family history besides Dad taking the boys to the corner bar where he would get a boilermaker and they would get Shirley Temples...

One more day until the election.  Looks like a nail biter. And I can't agree enough on your global warming comment. Crazy what's going on right now.

Cheers!

Offline Msgarvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 June 22 03:09 BST (UK) »
I see that the Sheridan conversation ended quite awhile ago. I thought I would go ahead and post a reply anyway.

My gr-grandfather's brother, Patrick Noone, married Ellen Sheridan in March 1877 in in Ardkill. Her father was listed as Michael. Mary Sheridan was a witness. Unfortunately, Ellen passed away not long after she and Patrick were married. So there were no children.

My grandfather, Michael F. Noone, was born in Ardkill in 1876. His father was James Noone b.ca 1834, Ardkill. His mother was Ann Sullivan b.ca 1840. The Patrick Noone that married Ellen Sheridan was the brother of James Noone.

Loretta

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 June 22 17:15 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

My gr-grandfather's brother, Patrick Noone, married Ellen Sheridan in March 1877 in in Ardkill. Her father was listed as Michael. Mary Sheridan was a witness.

The marriage in 1877 was in Kilcommon RC Church. Both were living in the townland of Ardkill.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1877/11137/8078234.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/kilmaine/kilcommon/kilmaine/ardkill/

My grandfather, Michael F. Noone, was born in Ardkill in 1876. His father was James Noone b.ca 1834, Ardkill. His mother was Ann Sullivan b.ca 1840.

Michael Noone was born at Ardkill on 3 April 1878.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1878/02960/2084311.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Msgarvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 June 22 17:24 BST (UK) »
The civil registration of Michael's birth was recorded on 3 April 1878 but he was actually born 18 Mar 1876.

They didn't get into town very often.