Author Topic: (COMPLETED) - MENZIES Family (Coal Miners)  (Read 7404 times)

Offline DNAsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • True Caledonian
    • View Profile
Re: (COMPLETED) - MENZIES Family (Coal Miners)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 November 09 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mollydog,

My wife's maiden surname is Menzies and her grandfather was Thomas Warden Menzies (John's younger brother). Their father John Menzies snr,  was married twice ( 1st to Marion Lumsden and later to Isabella Warden and between them had a total of 17 children.

Female siblings were Mary, Rachel, Margaret, Marion* and Jane*. Perhaps your Grandmother was one of these sisters. They were all half sisters to Thomas and full sisters to John jnr.

* died in infancy

Hope this helps a little and should you need any further info please let me know.

Regards
Weir, McCormick, Ferguson, Menzies, Cheyne, Graham, Fyfe, Cuthbert

Offline jac2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 December 09 20:35 GMT (UK) »
i know this post is completed but don't know if you ever found the details of john death if not here it is

1902 November 11
West Longrigg Lanark Darngavil Coal Co Ltd
John Menzies 35 Miner
Falls of roof
Deceased was setting some breaking props at a longwall roadhead while his brother was boring a machine hole for a brushing shot. A stone, 3 feet 11 inches by 1 foot 7 inches by 2 feet 1 inch which it was intended to blast down, suddenly fell from between two parallel and nearly vertical joints, and killed deceased instantly.
jack, mitchell,lowrie murray, donaldson, forgie, anderson, corbett, spence thomson kerr plouman/plowman,  fife, midlothian, lanarkshire, moray, wick.

Offline DNAsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • True Caledonian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 December 09 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info. Its the same as I have and it is more tragic when you find out that his brother Richard was killed in almost identical circumstances!

Richard Menzies 30 April 1863 - 21 June 1897

Killed by a fall of stone spinal column fractured in lumber region with internal injuries.

1897 June 21 North Motherwell No 1 Lanark Merry & Cunninghame Ltd Richard Menzies Miner 43 Fall of roof at working face.

23 June 1897 Newspaper:

Miner Killed - A miner named Richard Menzies met his death in No. 1 pit. North Motherwell colliery yesterday. While in the main coal seam a large stone, weighing over three tons, fell from the roof and crushed him to death. He was thirty-four years of age, and resided in the New Logans. He leaves a widow and family. [Scotsman 24 June 1897]

The real tragedy is that Richard's father John Menzies snr outlived serveral of his children and died in 1913 aged 77.
Weir, McCormick, Ferguson, Menzies, Cheyne, Graham, Fyfe, Cuthbert