Author Topic: Henry Griffiths & Mary Ann Rowberry  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Griffiths & Mary Ann Rowberry
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 December 11 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you June, looks like I have gone wrong somewhere! Will come back a few paces and work forward again.  :(
Griffiths and Mercer from Prescot, Lancashire. Maple from Wiston, West Sussex and Keeley from London.

Offline PollyR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 December 11 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I've had a quick look at the census and your Henry and his son William are in the same place (Willington in Flintshire) in 1851 and 1861, so definitely not Mary Ann ROWBERRY and her husband.  However by 1861 Henry has remarried to an Ann - the marriage is probably this one from FreeBMD:

Marriage 1861 Mar
GRIFFITHS Henry Wrexham 11b 413
MITCHELL Ann     Wrexham  11b 413

His son John is an Apprentice in the Household of a Richard & Phillis GRIFFITHS in 1861.  In 1871 he is still in their Household, now claims to be a nephew.  His birth looks as if it may be this on from FreeBMD:

Birth 1847
GRIFFITHS John St Asaph  27 185.

And this might be Henry's first marriage:

Marriage 1847 Jun
GRIFFITHS Henry Wellinton Sh  18 299
DAVIES Mary Ann Wellington Sh  18 299

Polly

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 December 11 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Polly for confirming that for me. I have removed Henry and Mary Ann from my tree and will have to research these again. It is so very easy to fall onto the wrong trail I have seen it for myself with other peoples trees. I am rather stumped at the moment and am finding progress really slow. I will start my research again soon, hopefully with more success. Thanks once again for your help. Kessy
Griffiths and Mercer from Prescot, Lancashire. Maple from Wiston, West Sussex and Keeley from London.

Offline PollyR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 December 11 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Who are you trying to work backwards from?
Polly

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 January 12 01:36 GMT (UK) »
I am working back from John Griffiths b. 1850 Holywell, Flintshire. Married Elizabeth Roberts b. 1849 Holywell, Flintshire. Died 22-11-1916.  Married Jan 1869 Holywell. Children: Thomas, William (12-09-1869), Margaret, Elizabeth, Mary, Edward, Jane, John, George in that order. 1881 census living at Green Bank, Greenfield, Holywell. These are all confirmed relatives of mine, their son William was my Gt Grandfather and was killed at work whilst building the Colywyn Bay promenade on 25th May1927. I have the original newspaper cuttings. Thank you Polly.

Offline PollyR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 January 12 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Do you have John's marriage certificate?  That would confirm his father's name.  Also the John of the Henry and Mary that you found was still single in 1871, and was born in 1847, so probably not this couple even.

I see that there are a lot of GRIFFITHS families in Holywell, including two Johns of similar age.  Doesn't make it easy for you, does it?

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 January 12 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Strangely enough I ordered a marriage certificate for this couple only last night. John Griffiths is an incredibly popular name and used every other one in the family line so far, including that of my brother! Yes makes work quite difficult.

Offline PollyR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 January 12 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Good I'm sure that's the way to go....
Let me know when it comes if you need any more help, but hopefully you will be able to find him living with the right father in an earlier census - mind you not always that easy!
Polly

Offline Kessy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 January 12 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Polly and thank you for your offer of help, Kessy x