Author Topic: Arms of Harris of Blackrock,Cork, Ireland  (Read 10452 times)

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arms of Harris of Blackrock,Cork, Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 December 11 21:41 GMT (UK) »
David

Many thanks once again.

So, are we to assume that the arms in your signature are canting since they display apples? I think I 'm getting the hang of it.

If you don't mind, a further qestion.

In my original post I referred to Harris of Lakeview, Blackrock. The last male Harris was Richard Harris (died 1879). He had two daughters. I have his will, it makes no reference to the arms, can I assume that the right to the arms died with him since he had no male heirs?

suds

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 December 11 22:42 GMT (UK) »
So, are we to assume that the arms in your signature are canting since they display apples? I think I 'm getting the hang of it.

Got it in one!  Yes, the arms are canting.  As is the crest, an apple tree fructed (with fruit, in this case apples).  The motto completes the pun, being the Latin for "By their fruits shall you know them."  Or as I like to sometimes think of it, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

In my original post I referred to Harris of Lakeview, Blackrock. The last male Harris was Richard Harris (died 1879). He had two daughters. I have his will, it makes no reference to the arms, can I assume that the right to the arms died with him since he had no male heirs?

Not necessarily.  The right to the undifferenced arms died out when Richard Harris did, but if either or both of his daughters had married someone who was armigerous (who had a coat of arms), then their children would have the right to quarter the Harris arms (in the upper right and lower left of the shield) with their father's arms (in the upper left and lower right of the shield), and thus carry on the arms that way.

David

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 December 11 08:42 GMT (UK) »
David

Thanks so much for your information.

My gggrandfather married three times. I descend from the middle marriage. His youngest son (from the third marriage) married Rachael Harris, daughter of Richard. I am in touch with their descendants in Australia. I'm sure they'll be tickled pink.

So although I am not a direct descendant of the Harrises, the information is very interesting.

Many thanks

suds

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 December 11 14:23 GMT (UK) »
You are very welcome!  I'm glad that I was able to help.

David